Newbie needs help please. Possible heater core issue?

slmdblazer

Nov 1, 2016
I have a new to me '07 GMC Seirra 2500 with the LMM. It has 170k on the odometer. The other day I was cruising around and turned on the defrost to clear up the windshield a little. The windshield fogged up and the air coming out of the vents smelled like coolant. I got it home and checked for wet floor boards (bone dry) and also checked the coolant level, which was full. I drove the truck to work the next day and turned the defrost on and then switched to the heater and everything in between to see if it was still having the same problem. It didn't smell like coolant anymore and the windows still fogged, but not as bad. I don't see any coolant leaks anywhere, inside the truck, or out. I have an appointment at a shop tomorrow to get the heater core replaced but I'm wondering if this is even the problem considering the truck doesn't smell like coolant anymore when the heat/defrost is on. Can anyone point me in the direction of the possible problem? Thanks in advance!

I also forgot, the heat still blows hot and the a/c (if it even matters) still blows cold.