New stereo in 04.5

Rockrunner

New to the LLY
Nov 7, 2013
Roxborough CO
I would like to know if I can install a stock stereo from a 12 or 13 Chevy in my 04.5? I like the look of them and am able to get one for a really good price.

I am sure the plugs are different but If there is an adaptor out there from PAC or ?? that would be great.

Has anyone ever done this???

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I doubt there are adapters, but you might be able to make your own. What radio(bose?) do you have and which one are you trying to switch to (navigation?)?

Rockrunner

New to the LLY
Nov 7, 2013
Roxborough CO
Yeah have the Bose from 05 and would like a Navi from a 11-13 or 10 maybe. I figured the no adaptors part. Now I am thinking how much different the wiring is and if it is worth it. Who knows if the Navi will work, it would be an interesting thing to try if I can get my hands on a radio cheap enough. With the locks in them now I may blow one up :eek: not an E engineer :rofl:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Size difference would be the first hurdle. I think that the electrical protocols are different, too....but Ben's the real expert on that.

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
I recommend going with an after market head unit. I put in a Kenwood with Nav, B/U camera and interfaced it with the stock rear DVD. I used an Axxess interface and their steering wheel control unit. The interface was cheap, you can lower the chime volumes down to zero (BEST feature) and it even retained on-star. Sounds far better than the Bose ever did.

Rockrunner

New to the LLY
Nov 7, 2013
Roxborough CO
I recommend going with an after market head unit. I put in a Kenwood with Nav, B/U camera and interfaced it with the stock rear DVD. I used an Axxess interface and their steering wheel control unit. The interface was cheap, you can lower the chime volumes down to zero (BEST feature) and it even retained on-star. Sounds far better than the Bose ever did.

So the Axxess interface is used to hook up the stereo and then you used a separate unit made by them for the steering controls if I read this correctly.

How is your Kenwood, I have had and have friends that all complain about the radio reception and never mind trying AM ( to listen to the Bronco games) it does not come in at all. Now I do live in Denver but Pioneer or Alpine side by side get much better reception than the Kenwood Excelon. Then again I can listen to the game on XM.

Guess an aftermarket head unit is sounding better and easier :eek: :thumb:

Thanks for the info, eBay here I come :D

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I hated my Kenwood Excelon and will never buy another of their HUs, but that was 10 years ago. It was rebuilt 2-3 times and never got good signal in 3 years.

I've never had or see a bad Pioneer HU. They might not be the best, but they are sound.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
I have a cheap Kenwood in my truck, it works fine. Has usb, aux and CD. It receives fm pretty good. Not as good as the stock one but decent. I had a petty expensive pioneer in my old lb7 and wasn't too impressed. It was no better than the Kenwood I have now and cost twice as much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
I hated my Kenwood Excelon and will never buy another of their HUs, but that was 10 years ago. It was rebuilt 2-3 times and never got good signal in 3 years.

I've never had or see a bad Pioneer HU. They might not be the best, but they are sound.

I had a pioneer in my truck for about two months. I hated it! Customer service sucked as well.

bigmackmiller

Nov 30, 2008
Kokomo, IN
Just go aftermarket and save a lot
Of headache I run a sony in my boat and my 01 and am really happy with how they sound, they have really revamped their entire product line from the days of the ol pos explodes