Allison 5sp: New Shop Do's & Don'ts

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
I'm building a new shop for myself and up to 2 other guys to make a living out of. I have a few specific questions but I will appreciate any advice. Like I tell everyone, even if I dont agree with you it may still get my creative juices flowing or whatever. So I'm interested in what people with experience have to say about what to do and what not to do.
I specifically would like to hear how other shops are laid out in regards to lift spacing when the bays are side by side. And how far from walls, etc. This shop is going to be 46' deep and 75 to 80ish long.
Also what brand of lifts to stay away from. My local independent tool guy is pushing Worth on me, USA made. Will be working on a lot of lifted trucks, so I need to make sure they go high enough too. I'm 6'1" and do not want to screw that up. Seems like I need 12k minimum lifts maybe?? If I do 10 vehicles a week, 9 are 3/4 ton trucks probably.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
One thing I can say is I’d never have my shop/lift setup to where you can’t drive into the lift then straight out a door on the other end of the building again. When things get busy it makes life so much easier not to play musical trucks to get back out of the shop.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
One thing I can say is I’d never have my shop/lift setup to where you can’t drive into the lift then straight out a door on the other end of the building again. When things get busy it makes life so much easier not to play musical trucks to get back out of the shop.
Yea that would be ideal. Lot of new car stores are going that way. 1 big door at each end and bays on each side going up thru.

Dkatubi06

Dec 30, 2015
Get two 12k lifts you want enough room to get a service cart on Both sides. I’d say three to four feet away from walls. Maybe enough room between the lifts to get an engine hoist stand between them. I agree with a shop with multiple doors to drive in/out of (the last shop I was in had one big door and both lifts next too each other and one was on an angle) musical cars isn’t fun and if one lift is going to be tied up for a awhile make sure there is enough room around said lift and vehicle to get things around. I really can’t stress having enough space. You may also want to consider a four post lift. Definitely have a dedicated office with its own door/window/phone/computer. Most shops also have a dedicated parts room for chemicals/oils/parts obviously. Another thing to consider is where your going too put your compressor if you can make a dedicated room for that as well and insulate it for noise reduction. There’s going to be three of you working at the same time place gets noisy-no one wants to yell over a compressor. If your doing emissions testing put that machine at the main door. I’d stay away from the snap on tire machine and balancer. Hunter makes a crazy good machine that uses lasers and a computer for balancing. Keep your waste oil outside in a tote or tank with a spill dam. And you can NEVER have enough oil dry!!! I’m sure I’m missing a lot but others will chime in good luck!!!!

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Compressor, boiler, hot water maker will all be in a separate utility room. I've dealt with a compressor in the same room for years now, that is definitely coming to an end!

Good point about getting engine hoist, carts, etc between lifts, thanks.

I currently have accuturn changer and balancer. Will probably go to Hoffman in future.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I would get a 2 post and a 4 post. I use my 4 post way more then 2 post. Super handy. Only downfall is lifting cabs. Also a wash cabinet is nice. Cost upfront sucks but saves you a lot in labor and cleaning solvents. For your bulk oils price around. They will negotiate.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Thanks guys, keep em coming. Want to do it right, think of everything.

I'm not starting from scratch. I'm moving from our dealership to my own place. Taking all tools and equipment with me. Need a new building, lifts, air system is all.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Spend the money on quality insulation and HVAC. With insulated roll up doors. Ours hardly ever kicks on, and the shop is always comfortable. Even with all the cncs running the AC still doesn’t run that much.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Laid it out today. Should be 6 ft between lift posts. 3 in a row. 7 ft between lift post & wall. I think tests pretty roomy. Anyone have a shop with side by side lifts to compare?