New rubber Goodyear Wranglar MTR with KEVLAR

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Well after 50K one of my Nitto Terra Grappler broke a cord. I think it had a broken cord for a while since there was a deeper crack in that tire that got a bit bigger when the wobble started. After replacing the tire with the spare my truck no longer was pulling in that direction like it was. Which I always chalked up to needing an alinement.

I was going between Nitto MTs, BFG TM KM2s, and Goodyears. I chose the Goodyears because I don't see a lot of people running them and thought the hybrid tread was worth a shot. Some guys out in west TX swear by them holding up to mesquite thorns too.

They where really quite at first, but within the first few thousand they are now obviously louder then my old BFG KMs. Wet and dry traction seems ok. They are digging SOBs in soft sand way worse then BFGs. The rubber is really soft so I don't see them lasting very long. They are good in the mud haven't had them in any sticky clay, but they just crawled through the rest. No need to hit the throttle to get them to clean.

garage_attachment.php

garage_attachment.php

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Good to know, thanks for the review.

I've looked at these tires several times in he past cuz they are the only other tire that comes in the size 285/75/18 that I like to run. I keep with my toyo AT's cuz they're pretty quiet, and now with the new AT2's they have a more aggressive look and I like that...those BFG MT Kevlar tires look loud sittin on the shelf!
Lol

Have you ever put any thought into ProComp tires? The Xtreme MT's look like a good tire, I've heard good things about them too, like they're quiet, self clean and wear well

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Never really been a fan of ProComps. No specific reason.

Tires are 285 70 IIRC a 33" tire. Truck is stock height I just trimmed the bumper a little and remolded the fender liners.

Sent from my iPhone digging a ditch near you.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The mtr's work bad ass in the rocks but damn they don't last long. My zuk runs them in 35" tires. I got 20k out of them and I need to replace them now

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Should've gotten Goodyear Duratracs. Killer traction in all conditions and wear far better than an M/T.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I didn't hear any complains about the wear of the new MTRs that I put much faith in. Guys that go wheeling or tow heavy...well yep your tires are going to wear fast. I love the old MTRs we ran them on all our plow trucks when I lived up north. They did pretty good. Well these are obviously a lot softer.

My dad loves his Duratracs thats all he has ran since they came out. I like to stick with MTs especially ones with a more directional tread pattern. Wear isn't a big deal for me, but I would like to get at least 30K out of a set of tires. Which I think I should be able to achive with these MTRs.I want to know when I leave the asphalt I will have the traction to get back on under my own power, or I will dig myself to China trying. The Nittos where my last attempt at ATs and again every time I left the pavement I felt like I barely made it back. All the nasty clay we have down here will make a dozer slip and slide let alone something with tires. I'd run Boggers, but I need more then 20K out of a set of tires and they look gay on a stock truck.

James,
Are your tires chunking off bad or are they just wearing fast? I'm surprised how durable this rubber is since its so soft. I snipe all of my MTs and don't know how these tires ain't so soft that they chunked off under WOT. After doing the first 2 tires I was hoping I didn't just ruin them. I always test sniping on 2 tires before doing the rest to makes sure I won't have issues and they have held up fine so far...

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
James,
Are your tires chunking off bad or are they just wearing fast? I'm surprised how durable this rubber is since its so soft. I snipe all of my MTs and don't know how these tires ain't so soft that they chunked off under WOT. After doing the first 2 tires I was hoping I didn't just ruin them. I always test sniping on 2 tires before doing the rest to makes sure I won't have issues and they have held up fine so far...

No chunks, they hold up amazingly well crawling but my rig also is only 3k lbs. they just wore fast on the road. it was my DD for a long time while i built the motor in the Limo. the tires were brand new in Oct 2011. i would sipe them for sure after you wear the centers down to where the little groove in the center tread is gone, once thats gone they stiffen up and dont grab as well but still wear just as fast.

ill get some pics tonight of just how they look. the outer lugs are the ones that see the most abuse and they are still in great shape for what they go through.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
I didn't hear any complains about the wear of the new MTRs that I put much faith in. Guys that go wheeling or tow heavy...well yep your tires are going to wear fast. I love the old MTRs we ran them on all our plow trucks when I lived up north. They did pretty good. Well these are obviously a lot softer.

My dad loves his Duratracs thats all he has ran since they came out. I like to stick with MTs especially ones with a more directional tread pattern. Wear isn't a big deal for me, but I would like to get at least 30K out of a set of tires. Which I think I should be able to achive with these MTRs.I want to know when I leave the asphalt I will have the traction to get back on under my own power, or I will dig myself to China trying. The Nittos where my last attempt at ATs and again every time I left the pavement I felt like I barely made it back. All the nasty clay we have down here will make a dozer slip and slide let alone something with tires. I'd run Boggers, but I need more then 20K out of a set of tires and they look gay on a stock truck.

James,
I would not call the duratrac an AT. Theres a reason all the mine trucks are running them.