Need help

ryanelwood

Oct 29, 2013
WISCONSIN
Alright, I have a 2004 Duramax, since Monday here in Wisconsin it has been extremely cold, so I've been plugging my truck in at night. Unfortunately it has had a hard time starting and than today my battery light came on so I tested my alternator and found that I was not getting anything from my alternator. So I went and got a new one and put it in tonight. But I still have the same no charge issue, I am stumped at what it could possibly be, any sugguestions would be great!

TLyons90

Apr 22, 2013
Greenville, SC
Have you checked both of your batteries as well to make sure the cold did not kill 1 or both of them? Is it cranking over and just not starting or nothing at all?

ryanelwood

Oct 29, 2013
WISCONSIN
I had both batteries load tested, they were good to got, they are not even a year old yet. I tested voltage at the batteries when the truck was running and it was discharging. I put the new alternator in last night and I still have the same issue. This morning I took both the new and the old alternator to get tested, the old was is bad like I had originally thought, but the new one is perfect, it is putting out 14.8 volts on the test bench. The truck this week has had a hard time starting in the morning without being jumped, but once it is started in the morning it will start the rest of the day. I've read that the PCM can go bad and will cause this.....is there any possible way I can rule that out?