Need help with trans ASAP

2THEMAX

2005chevDmax
Nov 3, 2013
Spearfish, SD
Ok thinking about building my transmission and I've got the 5 speed but am going to convert to a 6 speed got the valve body ready to order but am wondering what i would order for a trans kit do you order the 5 speed trans kit or do you order the 6 speed kit for the 06s and up?

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
Ok thinking about building my transmission and I've got the 5 speed but am going to convert to a 6 speed got the valve body ready to order but am wondering what i would order for a trans kit do you order the 5 speed trans kit or do you order the 6 speed kit for the 06s and up?

You would still order the 5 speed kit. Who have talked with about the 6 speed conversion?

2THEMAX

2005chevDmax
Nov 3, 2013
Spearfish, SD
Ya suncoast kit well the valve body from suncoast but thinking of going with ppe stage 5 with a suncoast 3000 stall torque converter

$chultz38

Jan 22, 2009
The suncoast 6 speed conversation kit for the' 01 to '05 is a tcm and modified valve body so buy whatever kit you want you trans is still a 5 speed...

dirty max 2500

gutter butter
Oct 24, 2014
california
Sorry I just bought my truck last week so I'm new to the scene.why did you choose that conversion? What are using your truck for? I wanna throw a 1200 pound welder and torch with tanks plus tools on my bed? What do I need to up ?grade? I was thinking tow airbags?how do you know if your truck is a 3/4 ton or half ton? Also is there a different transmission for a 6.6 duramax beside allison ? How do you start your own thread? Sorry

HeavyDuty204

May 26, 2014
Manitoba, CA
Sorry I just bought my truck last week so I'm new to the scene.why did you choose that conversion? What are using your truck for? I wanna throw a 1200 pound welder and torch with tanks plus tools on my bed? What do I need to up ?grade? I was thinking tow airbags?how do you know if your truck is a 3/4 ton or half ton? Also is there a different transmission for a 6.6 duramax beside allison ? How do you start your own thread? Sorry

Welcome to the forum.

Go to the section in the forum relevant to the question you will be posing to fellow members (ie model of truck, Mike L's transimission talk, turbo talk, tuning, etc) and click on the "new thread" button located in the upper left just under sub-forums and voila thread started ask away.

If your truck is a Duramax it's probably not a 1/2 ton. Most likely a 3/4 ton or 1 ton denoted by 2500 or 3500 respectively.

As for other transmission options, I think for most peoples applications a built allison is the best option. But for racing purposes I think some have swapped the allison for TorqueFlite transmissions. I could be wrong and fellas correct me if I am. There are very knowledgeable members here who will get you set up.:thumb:

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
So order the 5 speed kit? Then what do they do for that 6th gear just the valve body gets changed?
Why do you want the 6 speed conversion kit? Just curious, sometimes I wish I had a 5 speed. I rode in a truck with a 5 speed and the guy put 3.42 gears in it to lower hwy rpms and it worked really good. First gear felt way better. In my opinion first gear is too low unless you tow heavy allot.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I drove a 01 federal on 245's and 6 speed conversion. Was very impressed with the mpg it got, best out of any Dmax I've driven.