LB7: Nasty leak this morning. 4wd acting up, weird noises. HELP!

B00STJUNKY

"The Fuel Whore"
Apr 18, 2011
Tide Country, Alabama
Posted on Duramaxforum.com as well, but haven't gotten too far just yet.

Went out side this morning to warm the truck up for 10 before leaving and noticed this nasty leak. I've seen some oil under the truck slung everywhere but it's never had a puddle under it before. Coming from around T-Case area. Driveway is steep and was wet this morning so after checking the eng/tranny fluids, I put it in 4L (usually do 4H but wanted to see how 4L pulled) and started up the drive. Got to the road and get straight and it won't go back in 2H. N, P, R, D, didnt matter. Stopped, rolling etc... Just blinked and then went back to 4L... Finally got back to 2H after it had a slight grind. Dropped it of at the shop and the mechanic called me and said after spraying it with 2 cans of brake cleaner and wiping everything down, he cranked it up and went through all the gears and whatnot and still couldn't find a leak. Said it had oil around some vent tube, but he took the plug out and said the oil level was still good. I'm stumped. Any experience with this? My TC shot or is this normal? And as far as the 4WD issue, that the switch starting to go out or actuator or what?

Thanks in advance fellas.

Update:
Seal is dry as a bone. Guy at the shop said that it was either coming from that vent tube or some kind of control box or valve or pump thing thats sitting above the TC. What the hell is the thing he's talking about. I got the truck back and would go check it out and take a picture of it if the weather wasn't so nasty and pouring like it is.

So basically whats the vent tube and how does it function in relation to the mechanics of the TC and what is this box thing he's talking about that could be leaking...
confused.gif

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Pump rub?
That's what I was going to guess. The fluid level in the transfer case wasn't low? As far as shifting from 4L to 2H, it can be a little tricky. What I've had the best luck with is to put it in gear and get it rolling about 5 MPH, bump the transmission into neutral, and shift the transfer case to 4H. Once it is in 4H, it usually goes into 2H really easy. The trick is to be rolling slowly and the trans must be in neutral.