my take on cognito steering braces

cwolfley

luv'n it.
hello, all i just thought i would share my thoughts on the install and final outcome on the product.
the truck 2002 gmc sierra 2500hd crew short box 8" fabtech lift.
first off all new parts on the front end balljoints, inner and outer tierod ends, new moog pitman arm, and new moog idler arm and bracket, new tires 325/70r17 then aligned. all looked good on paper but still had vibrations and some steering issues. took the truck back to the place that mounted and balanced the tire and they re-balanced them, slightly better on vibrations. but still not happy with the steering. all the work was done by me (ase certified mech, and diesel mech), except for alignment and tire balance.
so anyway i bit the bullet and ordered my cognito steering kit, and while i was waiting for it to so up i had the tires road force balanced (cool balancer pricey though), that did wonders for the vibrations. i also jacked the front of the truck up and took another look and the arms and center link, even with new parts the center link still had movement (twisting action) which will change toe as you are driving.
so anyway i got my kit and installed it friday morning pretty straight forward install no problems at all was real easy as long as you have some mechanical abilities, took about 1 hour. since then i have put about 150 miles on it and omg what a difference nice and firm steering i dont feel the steering issues anymore, very satisfied so far, i was worried that i would loose some turning radius but i havent noticed anything yet, i can't even tell they are installed.
so for all you people trying to decide to buy them i would reccomend this for your truck for sure.
thanks for reading.
picture.php

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
IMO, you two both should've just gone to a straight centerlink or DHD's C-link brace.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
The dhd brace doesn't actively tighten the steering..... That's the only issue. It only helps during a boosted launch. When you are just normally driving around, the brace isn't even touching the front diff (or roller bearing, which ever you have).

Cognito braces do basically the same thing with regards to stopping centerlink rotation, except it's constantly "engaged" so to speak. Always taking the "slack" out of the system. Properly installed cognito braces do NOT affect turning radius. You must check after install for binding or interference with frame.

I'm very impressed with mine. Should have added them a long time ago. Definitely a worth while upgrade. IMO

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
The dhd brace doesn't actively tighten the steering..... That's the only issue. It only helps during a boosted launch. When you are just normally driving around, the brace isn't even touching the front diff (or roller bearing, which ever you have).

Cognito braces do basically the same thing with regards to stopping centerlink rotation, except it's constantly "engaged" so to speak. Always taking the "slack" out of the system. Properly installed cognito braces do NOT affect turning radius. You must check after install for binding or interference with frame.

I'm very impressed with mine. Should have added them a long time ago. Definitely a worth while upgrade. IMO

x2

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
DHD's brace doesn't work with a lift

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I know the design does have a flaw, but IMHO, the PISK from Cognito offers such an improvement its worth the risk.

I WONT OWN a GM IFS rig without installing the kit from Cognito
I installed it in this truck at stick height, then lowered it (torsion bars) and then lifted it and haven't touched the PISK kit...

I agree if they are installed properly they work well and for a long time, they will take a great amount of abuse and dobtheir job...

YES, there are other products out there that may do a better job of a specific task, but none as versatile with no negative attributes to speak of...

I'm an advocate of the PISK parts, I know theres arguments against them, nothing is perfect...

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
My Cognito's worked great for a lot of miles. I'd recommend them to anyone.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk