My headlights dilemma...help/opinions/blast here

CaptainDune

Apr 8, 2014
Arizona
So, my dirty is an 08, and I live in Phoenix (arizona at least). So one of the casings is pretty faded and it's in there deep, can't get rid of the fog on that side because its been neglected before I bought it. Yesterday, one of my headlights went out, and being one of those beefy males I thought now was a good time to swap out the housings and bulbs for something more aesthetically pleasing and just more awesome.

I was originally going to do projector headlamps (Recon, Spyder, Etc.) but after researching them and reading about them on the forums, I have decided against them since they don't seem to be very bright even w/ HID bulbs.

I am now looking at the Spec-D Euro Ones. But I can't find any real reviews on them, does ANYONE have any good or bad experiences with these things?

So, my next question is, if you guys were going to replace your headlamps which brand or housing would you use? I'm having trouble even finding any options out there. At this point I would just buy OEM ones if I could find them from somewhere other than a dealership.

Lastly, the HID bulbs/ballasts I was looking at using, regardless of which housing I end up with, was the PPE ones. Anyone have a different set they prefer?

Thanks for all the help in advance.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
IMO
These look pretty good!
http://www.ilovebodykits.com/produc...0_3500_07_12_CCFL_LED_Projector_Headligh.html

Just remember that when using HID lighting, the higher the number rating for the color/temperature of the bulb, the less lumens or light output the bulb actually makes.

So a 4500k is going to be the brightest and put out the most useable light onto the road, 6000k puts out close to 10% less lumens. The whiter the light the better.

Mar 13, 2012
Bham, AL
I have the spec d projector lights on my classic gmc. I love the look of them but 2-3 later the outer lenses are starting to get heat stess cracks (only noticeable at certain angles) and I have been running piaa super bright halogens not hids. But I ordered hids tonight from this website: http://www.xenonpro.com/ only for their lifetime warranty.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
PIAA's burn hotter than a 35w HID will, 50w HID might be getting close to the temps a halogen will hit tho
HID's use less power than a halogen too, except during the initial "fire up" time (about the first 5-10seconds)

CaptainDune

Apr 8, 2014
Arizona
I definitely want to go with HIDs, I am just trying to decide on the housing. I was hoping to get a little upgrade in looks along with functionality, but it seems stock is about as good as it gets for the latter.

Thanks for the info so far!

Mar 13, 2012
Bham, AL
Capt dune not trying to steal your thread.

Does anyone with hid bulbs run capacitors/warning cancelers in-line with the ballast to bulb?

I installed mine on one side and when I turn them on it blew both hi and low capacitors.