LB7: monitor/tuner setting security light, killing truck

11B_DMax

Oct 5, 2015
Fort Bliss
Hey all so I have a slight issue with my 04 Lb7. So whenever I have something plugged into the obd2 port to monitor my truck ( edge, scan gauge 2 , Bluetooth obd2 reader). And you drive around or let the truck idle for a bit the truck will set the security light and kill the gauges and sometimes kill the truck. The engine will stutter and sometimes catch itself but most the time it will shut off. Other times it will cause a dead pedal or a failure to restart until you unplug whatever you have from the truck.

the codes that are thrown when his happens are communication codes with the systems of the truck. Also it turns off the a/c until codes are cleared.

ive checked wires, checked the underhood fuse box for mice. no wires are tapped anywhere.

Now obviously it's something in the truck side as it does it with multiple different monitors and readers.

My question is this, is their an ecm update that the dealer can do possibly ? Or is this an issue with wiring that someone has heard of ? I've traced wiring. Checked power going to my obd2 port. And ecm. The truck had a blown fuse going to the obd2 port when I got the truck 3 yrs ago. I replaced the fuse and it's never blown since.

Any ideas ? Should I see if the dealer has a updated flash for the ecm?

Thank you in advance.

FYI I'm currently deployed overseas till February so my best friend is the one who would be checking it if there is something you suggest.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Aftermarket radio or remote start?
Batteries good?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

11B_DMax

Oct 5, 2015
Fort Bliss
brand new batteries
after market radio with proper bus communication module installed.

only does it when something is hooked to the obd2 port

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
It could EASILY be your radio interface as it hooks directly into your data bus. If it has a problem with the interface seeing something it doesn't want to see, it ccan crash the data bus. Try unhooking it completely from the truck and see if the problem persists.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
^^exactly. I had a bad radio adapter and it did all kind of strange things. The problems you have and more. Just got worse and worse. Radio and such still worked fine.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

11B_DMax

Oct 5, 2015
Fort Bliss
Hey guys! Update on this. My buddy finally made it down to my truck for me since I'm overseas. He took my aftermarket radio and interface box out and installed my factory radio back in. He drove it for an hour and had zero issues with the edge cs. My step dad drove it for a long trip and back and it did just fine.

So y'all were exactly right !

Any recommendations on what other interface box to use ? I had the metra unit in it

Thanks for all your help !