Mixing tires???

White Knight

Jul 20, 2009
Thompson,MB.
Further to my post titled OE Spare, I have been given conflicting information about tire replacement. First of all, I understand mostly about tires but maybe not so much about all the electronics they can affect. I've been told by some that it would be okay to repace two tires on the same axle as the others only have 19,000 miles on them. I have also been told by someone who used to work for a GM dealership that it wouldn't be a good idea because of all the electronic sensors that monitor the truck and all of its parameters. ( FYI, the reason I need to replace is that I got a sidewall puncture-7/8" spade drill bit of all things.) I don't really want to replace only only one, as if I replace two, I can keep the other slightly used tire for a full sized spare.The GM guy says to replace all four. Any input greatly appreciated as always. Thanks.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I assume you have a dually. How worn are the tires? I would think as long as they are the same size and the other tires are not shot it will be fine.

White Knight

Jul 20, 2009
Thompson,MB.
No dually, just wanting to replace the one damaged one and figuring it wold be good to replace both tires on the same axle, thereby leaving me a fairly new full sized spare, especially since the manual says not to use the smaller spare while in four wheel drive.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Heres the thing not all tires are the same as in manufacture. For example in my case I have a dually. I've ran Michelin 235/85 16's and now run Cooper 235/85 16's. The reason I switched is the Michelins are a wider tire and when towing the have a tendency to bulge and rub sidewalls in the back. With the Coopers same size 235/85 16's that does not happen. Also the Michelins are just a tad taller. So in this case i would NOT mix tires!

I have with NO problem bought two brand new steer tires and ran less than new out back ,Michelins. So IF you were to buy two brand new tires of the SAME brand there is absolutely no doubt NOT a problem to run them on the same axle as you describe.

I hope that makes sense

maxxflip

Apr 25, 2009
Alberta
Put 2 tires on the rear axle and burn 19,000mi off them....:D
Then you'll have 4 matching tires for the price of 2..:thumb:

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
I know alot of people that just replace 2 at a time. They move the steer tires to the back and put new steer tires on.

Most of the time for me it's reverse as my back tires (all four) are slicks from burning them up. :D

Right now my steers are brand new'ish and I have four tires out back that are shot. :(

When I buy new tires I'm done doing burn outs.