Mixing Tire Sizes

Danadj

Jul 31, 2010
Florida
Planning to change from stock 215s on a dually to 235s which are about an 1 1/2 taller. If I start by replacing the front two tires and keep it out 4wd on hard surfaces, will it screw up the abs or anything else?

Also is there enough space between the rear tires to accommodate the bigger 235s under a load? Any suggestions are appreciated.

sparepartsracing

spareparts offroad&fab
Mar 17, 2010
mis understood the question sorry...unless you want to blow your transfercase or possibly worse no you cant

Last edited:

Vrabel

TOYAHOLIC
May 22, 2008
Hewitt, NJ
you'll get an ABS/Speed Sensor code. and you should NEVER put in 4wd unless on slick mud or ice, and even thats not to good.

Danadj

Jul 31, 2010
Florida
Figured as much on the codes and using 4wd but wasn't sure if the transfer case would suffer if I kept it in 2wd.

sparepartsracing

spareparts offroad&fab
Mar 17, 2010
wont suffer in 2wd, just in 4 at higher speeds..ive run 33"s in front and 35's in the rear and been okay..but that was in mud and on a cast iron 205 t-case i dont think the duramax will be okay with that tho

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
As far as space goes it all depends ,believe it or not which tire manufacture you go with. Not all 235's are created equal. Some are taller some are wider . Watch the section width.

My experience is Michelins XPS ribs will rub,Transforce AT's give you about a 1" or so,Cooper tires will give you about the same space as the factory 215's but are short in height.

Tirerack has a good comparision on tires. Don't mix tires,never a good idea if you own a 4x4 not only size but brand as I mentioned and style UNLESS you check all specs.

All depends what you plan on hauling when it comes to space needed. Many have run spacers but our wheel studs aren't long enough to run a 1" spacer unless it has wheel studs in the spacer that's why many run 2" spacers which is way to much IMO. Looks weird. I heard Fred Spacers are about the best around http://www.wheeladapter.com/index.php

Last edited: