Mike L stage 3 trans. making noise in reverse?

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
Well today i went to put my truck in the garage for the winter and when i put the truck into reverse to back in the garage i noticed some weird ratcheting sound ive never heard before? It only does it for less than a second and it only does it when you go from one gear into reverse. It doesnt matter which gear you are in as soon as you click reverse it sounds like a gear wrench ratcheting for a second and that it reverse works fine all forward gears work fine everything seems fine except for the noise. I took a video but you cant hear anything so that isnt any help! ANy help would be appreciated!

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
LMAO yep its still fall but i just closed on my new house so i was parking it in the garage because i am completely remodeling the house and wont have any time to drive it the rest of the year. The t case is a possibility but i wouldnt think reverse would be effecting the tcase like this? Somethings is almost slipping until it grabs into the gear. If you have ever by coasting and threw your vehicle in park to early and it just ratchets/clicks that is EXACTLY what this sounds like! Brian said something a Park something be out of adjustment? It has probably been doing it for awhile the only reason i heard it i think is because it was inside the garage right against the wall so that amplified the sound enough for me to hear it.

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
drain it.....cut apart spin on.....how much has it been ran lately.
I havent put 1,000 miles on it this year, i drove it last night for the first time in 3 months and before that just around the block a few times basically. It has less than 1k miles since January this year when i put the twins on.

Park pawl?

Yes that is what Brian was talking about:confused:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Sure its not in the G80 out back? Mine has a serious "clunk" to it just as I stop backing. But thats been 3 years now, and the truck still goes down the road just fine.

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Sounds like you need to sell it to me so I can drive it every day:thumb:
"if you don't use it you loose it?" lol jk beautiful truck. Right up there with Cornell.

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
Sounds like you need to sell it to me so I can drive it every day:thumb:
"if you don't use it you loose it?" lol jk beautiful truck. Right up there with Cornell.

Thank you i appreciate the complement:thumb: Its not the g80 out back im 100% positive on that. This is defintely in the trans. or possibly the tcase but im leaning more towards the trans. If you drove down your driveway and threw your car in park while still moving that is exactly what this sounds like but mine is making this sound at a complete stop with my foot on the brake shifting it into reverse. Im hoping Mike will chime in tommorow and shed some light.

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
I don't see how the parking paw has anything to do with it. It would do it everytime I would think, as thats a mechanical item.....attached to a cable.

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
It dont jerk and jump as you back up without any throttle does it?
No jerking or jumping you can not even feel it James, just hear it?

I don't see how the parking paw has anything to do with it. It would do it everytime I would think, as thats a mechanical item.....attached to a cable.

It does do it every time, i put it from every gear and then back into reverse about 10 times and it made the noise every single time.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Drive it. Its probably a reverse light buzzing or something stupid thats makin you paranoid :D.

Sure its not an exhaust part hitting frame or something? Whens the last time you greases those bars? the front johnny joints like to make some noise like that when they dry out and when you put it in reverse the whole truck will twist a different way causing suspension movement

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
Drive it. Its probably a reverse light buzzing or something stupid thats makin you paranoid :D.
:roflmao:
Sure its not an exhaust part hitting frame or something? Whens the last time you greases those bars? the front johnny joints like to make some noise like that when they dry out and when you put it in reverse the whole truck will twist a different way causing suspension movement
I grease the bars regularly and i know that creaking noise they make because they do it wether they are greased or not:roflmao: I have had the issue with the exhaust hitting the crossmember on my previous dmaxs and thats not it. This is definitely something internal. I am trying to think of what in the tcase could make this noise? Another explanation of the noise would be when you try to put a manual shift car into gear but the clutch isnt pushed in far enough. That is a little more of a grinding noise and way louder than this is but just another thing to give you a idea of the type of sound im experiencing. It is not a really loud sound but for damn sure noticeable.