Media Blaster

NKlamerus

Jan 31, 2014
I REALLY need to re finish my ranchhands. It is severly rusted and is chipping. Ive looked into grinders however there are too many odd angles and what not to get all of it. The next ption is sand blasting them. Anyone have any experience with this? Ive looked all over for some setups and the reviews for the harbor freight setups really arent that bad. Once cleaned up, I plan to weld a hitch to the front as well as D-rings. Finish will most likely be black raptor liner over some type of rust primer. Any suggestions on a sand blaster or the fabrication is greatly appreciated!!

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Tapatalk

dmaxbowtie

Duramax fiend
Jun 2, 2011
RI
just make sure you put something on the sand blaster to catch moisture or they just keep clogging up. i have a harbor freight cabinet and it works well and we have the portable blaster at work and it seems to work just fine as well.

NKlamerus

Jan 31, 2014
Good to hear, Timken water filters have great reviews, and depending on the sand I've also heard baking it helps the moisture content dissipate

2002 LB7 HypertechMaxEnergy. 4x4. Ranchands. 33Coopers. Stupid is a Stupid Does.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Why would you go through all that trouble if your going to use a raptor liner? Take a wire wheel and brush to it then clean it good and paint it.

NKlamerus

Jan 31, 2014
I'm just worried about it rusting underneath the raptor liner. It's BAD. Half of the back of the pipe that makes the central strength of the bumper is gone. And the surface has to be perfect to weld on anyway. Rather do it right the first time and never look back

2002 LB7 HypertechMaxEnergy. 4x4. Ranchands. 33Coopers. Stupid is a Stupid Does.

Bear9350

May 23, 2013
Make a few phone calls to auto shops in your area. Some of them will have a blaster and I suspect would charge around $50-$75 to blast if you deliver it off the truck. At least that is about what it costs me to have it done.

NKlamerus

Jan 31, 2014
Sounds good for the front however the back ranch hand was welded to the frame ni questions asked....they welded the bumper to the frame, then the gm hitch below it. With braces welded to braces. And then in every seem they welded rebar....went a little overload IMO

NKlamerus

Jan 31, 2014
Here you can see the original hitch below the bumper. Kinda odd?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1391661244236.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1391661244236.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 11