Major allison problems..what do you think?

AJ500

May 25, 2010
100_0999.jpg

100_1000.jpg

Long story short the trans locked up on me. It is a suncoast kit and that is the only bad pack, i dont have a picture of the other clutches but they are actually welded together! What do you think caused this????

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Wow, that's pretty impressive. I've never seen that before.

TIMTHECARMAN2004

Block Hole Maker
Sep 23, 2007
It looks like someone installed it incorrectly. There should be external splines against the apply plate. It looks like someone put the internal splines first...

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
That is the C3 clutch pack and it was mis assembled. It was also slipping and doing wrong things and it was pushed to extreme under these conditions.
You showed it no mercy when you did this.

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
I'm no trans expert but I've never seen an Ally do that and all I could think was something had to have been mis installed...who did the install?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I am seeing more of this lind of stuff from the tech calls I get. The word is out that the Allison is an easy piece of cake. The guys that pack this stuff are minimum wage and don't give a shit. Sometimes the wrong clutches are packed in the wrong box. The guys putting this stuff together tend to mix everything up looking at the kit with goo goo eyes and cannot remember how it was packaged. There are no instructions as these kits were designed to have a professional put them together. Tech support costs a lot of money considering you tie up a tech a bunch of time with questions and stops him from earning his wages doing constructive thing for the company.
I will not sell a kit to a novice because of this. I am getting to a point where I am so picky I won't sell a kit to a professional rhat cannot read. There are many out there. There are so called pros that cannot follow a picture to drill a hole in the right place.
Life has been pretty nice since I stopped selling kits.:D

TIMTHECARMAN2004

Block Hole Maker
Sep 23, 2007
I am seeing more of this lind of stuff from the tech calls I get. The word is out that the Allison is an easy piece of cake. The guys that pack this stuff are minimum wage and don't give a shit. Sometimes the wrong clutches are packed in the wrong box. The guys putting this stuff together tend to mix everything up looking at the kit with goo goo eyes and cannot remember how it was packaged. There are no instructions as these kits were designed to have a professional put them together. Tech support costs a lot of money considering you tie up a tech a bunch of time with questions and stops him from earning his wages doing constructive thing for the company.
I will not sell a kit to a novice because of this. I am getting to a point where I am so picky I won't sell a kit to a professional rhat cannot read. There are many out there. There are so called pros that cannot follow a picture to drill a hole in the right place.

Well said Mike. Well said.

:thumb:

kman2468

Old Man Truck
May 3, 2009

well i tore apart the alli. put it back together. i kinda feel comfortable doing it. but only building it once, i know doesnt make me no "expert" i wanted to build mine. but the more i look at it. i would prefer to build a couple more allis before i touch mine. but i just cant see spending an extra 1500ish to have one built. oh the dilemmas :(
but you DO make a very good point mike. you know everything about this transmission!

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
well i tore apart the alli. put it back together. i kinda feel comfortable doing it. but only building it once, i know doesnt make me no "expert" i wanted to build mine. but the more i look at it. i would prefer to build a couple more allis before i touch mine. but i just cant see spending an extra 1500ish to have one built. oh the dilemmas :(
but you DO make a very good point mike. you know everything about this transmission!

I'm lost on this you will go into someone else's trans that they spent money on but not trust yourself with your own. Most will use there own for testing before others atleast I would and have with most stuff.

kman2468

Old Man Truck
May 3, 2009
I'm lost on this you will go into someone else's trans that they spent money on but not trust yourself with your own. Most will use there own for testing before others atleast I would and have with most stuff.

no im saying buy one that is not being used. and practice with it..the one i just built was for school. there is no way i will go and build someone elses either.

sparepartsracing

spareparts offroad&fab
Mar 17, 2010
i was going to do it myself but i would wrather not mess it up and support the guys who make this sport grow...and help us with all their facts.....i think its called loyalty but i dont know if that word is still used

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Agreed...if I could go back and do it all over again there is only one place I'd take it! Instead not being able to get off work forced me to have to get a pre-built SCV and just do a straight swap...even with that Mike was STILL a huge help lol

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
You could easily save those pics and put them as a sticky. Thread title.....Building your own trans is easy....look!!