Looking to match factory wheels size for new aftermarket wheels

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
Good morning :)

I would like to install new aftermarket wheels on my daily driver truck but I am very confused on wheel sizing. Looking on TireRack they recommend a variety of wheel offsets which doesn't seem quite right. I am looking to stick with a 16" rim and go with a 265-75-16 tire. The wheel offsets vary... from -12 to +10 in most cases. I found somewhere that the factory wheel offset is +30. These are very far from stock and I want to stay as far away from spacers as possible. I am looking to stick with daily drivability as much as possible and as well I would like to use the same wheels if I was to upgrade to a 2005-2007 duramax in in the future.

Help!

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
Well after chatting with someone from Tire Rack I found out that the stock wheel offset for my truck is +40. He also told me that with a +10 offset wheel the wheel will be sticking out of the fender well a full inch compared to stock. I was told that it shouldn't affect the ride in any way. Also I am looking at a 16x8 rim vs the stock 16x6.5. They don't even carry a wheel at stock width.

Help! I am still confused. I don't want to drive with the tires sticking far out the wheel wells either although I doubt an inch would really make a big difference in looks but I am really wondering about drivability.

millerman04

< The Man Cave
Jul 14, 2010
Clearville, Pa
Mine stick out about an inch up front. Doesnt affect the driving much at all. Just means that they will sling more crap up over your truck.

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
Yeah slinging rocks isn't exactly a good thing... I just got the truck repainted because of rusty rocker panels :S

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
What size wheels do you have Miller? I would like to see what a 16x8 with ~+10 offset would look on the truck. I would like to see how far they actually stick out.

Trotorx2

Sep 21, 2006
Beaumont, Texas
There used to be a wheel site that showed a diagram of the wheel and tire and showed the relation to the hub. It would pretty much let you know how far the wheel would stick out past the fenders. Also there was one that you put in your truck and when you looked at a certain wheel it would put it on a side yiew of that model truck. I widh I could remember that they were.

It sucks getting old...the memory IS the first thing to go! :eek:

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
If u went with a 16x8 with 4.5in backspace u should be fine. Those are what i have for winter wheels. I believe 5.5in backspace is stock wheels. I have 18x9in summer wheels that have a 5in backspace with -6 offset. Both the 16 and 18in wheels in those specs stick flush with the front fenders. I love the stance. Both stick out about 1-1 1/2 from stock. I think stock wheels are tucked in to much in my opinion.

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
Good morning arneson,

Do you have any side pics of your ride with the 16x8 rims? I would like to see how far it really is by myself. I tried searching pretty much everywhere with no luck. One more thing that concerns me too is the fact that I plan on running these rims winter and summer and here with the winter salt I hope they survive.

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
Pm me your number and ill send ya a some pics. I still haven't figired the pics out on how to post them up here. But i have them on my phone and can text them or email them to ya. Both 16 and 18s.

millerman04

< The Man Cave
Jul 14, 2010
Clearville, Pa
Ive got 16x9's on mine. Not sure on the offset. Trucks in my avatar. Also if you want, pm me your number, and i can do the same for ya and send ya a pic that way.