LMM - New motor/New tunes - throwing codes

islandgirl62

On the road again......
May 22, 2011
Live in a 5th Wheel Full-time!
IF THIS NEEDS TO BE IN A DIFFERENT FORUM, please move it. I always seem to struggle to figure out which one I should use.

Long story short - put a new Duramax LMM in our 2007 (new style) Chevy 2500 HD. Got tunes for our EFI Live from a very reputable place. (Is it okay to say where? Wasn't sure, so not naming names here) First test run was a short half mile, not running it hard, top end was maybe 60 mph. Then it started sputtering, running like crap. sounds like the engine is coming apart from the inside out. We would compare it to what you would expect from a gasoline motor where the timing chain jumped about 10 notches. Limped it back home. Now it doesn't want to turn over.

Codes are:
P0336 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance;
P0546 Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit High;
P2033 Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit High (aren't those two the same thing??) and
P2565 Turbocharge Boost Control Position Sensor Circuit High.

We are working with the people where we got the tunes and with the guy who put in the new motor (which is 4 hours away from where we are!). Just trying to cover all our bases. Definitely not pointing fingers any direction, just trying to get it running right. Ordered a new crankshaft position sensor from the local NAPA store, just in case. It will be here tomorrow. But with these other codes, I'm not convinced that is the problem :confused: and it looks like it might be a PITA to change out in the driveway.

Anyone have any thoughts? Appreciate any help and ideas!

islandgirl62

On the road again......
May 22, 2011
We put the new motor in because of blow by on the pistons. Didn't want to buy another one with all the gov't bs stuff on it. (We deal with that with my '12) so decided to spend a lot less and just put in a new motor instead. Had the transmission rebuilt to a stage 2 also. (We had bought this truck used with no knowledge of how it was treated/driven before it became ours)

After the motor install, it was running, but not real efficiently. We were able to drive it the 4 hours back home, but it was smoking quite a bit and throttle response was sporadic.....like it just didn't know for sure what it was supposed to do. The CPU already had EFI live on it and had been flashed with the old motor. We weren't able to get the new tunes before we drove home, but were assured by both the mechanic and the tune people that it would be fine to drive it home.

When we try to start it, it tries to crank, but sounds horrible - lots of clattering- and just won't fire up. Doesn't sound like a fuel issue. It "wants" to start, but won't. (Don't have an audio file of it....if i can get one in the morning, I will and will try to post it)

islandgirl62

On the road again......
May 22, 2011
New motor info:
Stage one Duramax engine build LMM. Cam. Valve springs. Pushrods. Corillo connecting rods, rotating assembly balanced, machined piston bowls and reliefs, coated pistons, Arp studs, S400 direct bolt on compound turbo charger, dual CP3 pump, New Bosch injectors 50% over stock nozzles - modified and balanced.

We had previously installed a FASS fuel system and 4" exhaust.

islandgirl62

On the road again......
May 22, 2011
After the motor install it was driven around quite a bit over near the mechanic. Then we drove it close to 250 miles coming home. the problems started after we put the tunes in. NOT saying the tunes are the cause....just stating a fact as to when it happened. ;)

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
I'm assuming the the problem persisted after going back to the stock tune, how many miles did it get driven around running fine before the original flash to the new tunes?

islandgirl62

On the road again......
May 22, 2011
It was driven probably close to 400 miles or more with no tunes and not yet reflashed to stock. Working with them, they sent the stock tune to us and it was flashed to the truck. We then saved it and sent it back and they did the modification tunes, which were sent back to us. After those tunes were installed, that is when we drove it. We'll try flashing it back to stock and see what happens. (with dpf deleted)

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Sounds to me like a broken crank or loose reluctor wheel. (The tone wheel the crank sensor reads from). Put a wrench on the balancer bolt and wiggle it around while watching the torque converter. If they seem to move together then pull the crank sensor and use a mirror and a screwdriver to try and move the reluctor wheel. You will need the mirror to look inside the hole. It should be hooked solid to the crank.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

bluessmax

Tabasco Injected!
Nov 4, 2010
Lake Charles, la
Don't know who tunes it... But I'm quite certain it's not tuning. The segments through all OS for LMM line up for crank, etc.... So even if a bad tune it won't code for that unless physical issue.
Diagnose the issue as normal with crank codes.

The engine likely has no clue where it is in revolution so will not fire properly, etc.

islandgirl62

On the road again......
May 22, 2011
Status update: Broken crank! We've got it on a trailer and will be heading back to have it replaced (under warranty). Since we had the new crankshaft sensor, we went ahead and had it replaced. In a way, that was a good thing, because the local mechanic we had put it in for us is the one who was able to confirm the broken crank for us. It was an interesting production getting it on the trailer, but local ingenuity got the job done.

bluessmax

Tabasco Injected!
Nov 4, 2010
Lake Charles, la
Status update: Broken crank! We've got it on a trailer and will be heading back to have it replaced (under warranty). Since we had the new crankshaft sensor, we went ahead and had it replaced. In a way, that was a good thing, because the local mechanic we had put it in for us is the one who was able to confirm the broken crank for us. It was an interesting production getting it on the trailer, but local ingenuity got the job done.

Glad to see you figured out what the codes were, but hate to hear about the broken crank :-(

Good luck man!