lmm head gaskets flatrate time

bigjimbo

Oct 11, 2011
2007.5 lmm just went on trip towed heavy load 300mi lost 1qt of coolant rad cap has pressure after sitting and cooling down i am wondering if head gaskets are starting to leak? how many hr job are they to change? thanks jim

Darius6t9

I'm the Floater. Lurking.
Aug 23, 2008
Rusk, Tx. Again
According to Mitchell(a site we use at work to determine flatrate time) it is anywhere between 26 hours and 37 hours flat rate depending on options. A/C, duel alternators, etc. 25 to 33 for the classic of the same year.

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
sounds like a headgasket to me. 26-37 hours!!! must be plenty beer breaks. i guess thats REALLY milking it:D

Darius6t9

I'm the Floater. Lurking.
Aug 23, 2008
Rusk, Tx. Again
It is. Couple of weeks ago, I asked the local dealer how much it would be just for labor to do my axle seal. Almost $600. Just for the labor. They said it was a 4.5 hour job. That they had to remove the rear diff cover to remove the axle. All that crap. Asked them if I looked like a dumba$$. For that much money, I would rather screw it up myself 4 or 5 times hoping to get it right at least once. Sorry for the highjacked thread.

It is a rip off though. But, according to the Mitchell site, that includes removing and installing the entire motor.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Been about two years since my last LMM head gasket job but if I remember correctly the cab actually came off easier than the classic body styles. I've never pulled a motor either. With another relatively smart person helping me I can get a cab off in about 2 hours. However that is using a lift...

770JOHNNYW

Sep 16, 2009
Gainesville ,Ga
i did studs in an lmm just a couple weeks ago...its a bitch no doubt but no worse than anything else i dont guess. the driverside rear stud has to go in with the head the rest can just be threaded in like normal. dont **** with the cab just crawl in there and do it

jraymer

<--Tree Hugger
Oct 31, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
i did studs in an lmm just a couple weeks ago...its a bitch no doubt but no worse than anything else i dont guess. the driverside rear stud has to go in with the head the rest can just be threaded in like normal. dont **** with the cab just crawl in there and do it
X2 i have done one lmm and it's really no worse than the others.