LMM DPF regen

mario430

Jan 8, 2014
Phoenix Arizona
Let me start with this I'm in Phoenix AZ so I can't delete my DPF due to emissions.

I have 08 LMM CCSB, I'm having an issue where my truck is going into regen anywhere from as low as 60 -120 miles. I've been reading that short trips might be the cause but what is the definition or short trips? This is my daily driver to work and that is 18 miles each way. one the way into work I easily hit 80 on the way home hit 70 usually if not more but I do also hit traffic slows down to 30 for about 1 mile then 2 miles of surface driving with lights. Because of the type of driving I do should I drive it harder would that help with the DPF getting hotter and maybe not regen as much? Normal driiving my sensors are 470 before DPF and 510 after DPF. Also when driving 65 and its in regen mode I'm hitting 1250 on the sensor after the DPF is that too high?

Something else I was thinking was could it be the fuel that I am using?
This all started when I took long road trip and before the trip I used some SeaFoam in my tank could that be the cause? I used 1 can per tank full which is 1/2 - 3/4 strength according to directions?

mario430

Jan 8, 2014
Phoenix Arizona
Question for LMM owners only. If you use some type of cleaning additive being lucas or seafoam or keen diesel or anything have you seen the Truck to do more regenerations? I've switched over to keen Diesel since that is what seemed to be recommended and my truck is regenerating once ever week about 140 miles inbetween. When I didn't have any additives in the tank I was doing a regen at about 370 miles.

msjdgman

Jan 13, 2009
SW Michigan
I've used Diesel Kleen for years now and never had an issue with the regens that I've noticed. Most all of the miles over the last 3 years have been towing though. But I still haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary.

IronDX

Jun 14, 2013
When I had a LMM, my truck would regen twice per tank full. When I quit using it, it returned to once per tank full. Like normal.

swaggerstick

Aug 10, 2014
Indana
Regen

I have a 2015 stock lml. It has 4000 miles on it. I have never seen a regen message. I have been told by the dealer that it is probably doing light cleanings and not to be concerned. If that is the case they say I may not get a message. Does this make sense? I did get a add def at about 1600 miles. I put 3 gallon in it then. The dealer said it will probably give me the need def message at about 6000 miles. It is hard to get a definite answer. The book doesn't seem very clear about it.

Last edited:

BlackHillsHD

Wrench Swinger
Aug 16, 2014
Rapid City, SD
The def system has a lot of variables. The biggest thing I have seen is to make sure that you fill it with the key off. If not, it can sometimes cause issues with the level sensor.

redws6rocket

Apr 22, 2007
Odessa, MO
You might check over the truck, air filter in good shape? Any charge air system leaks, exhaust leaks? That is perfectly normal for the egt sensors to get 1200-1300 degrees during regen. Does the truck blow out any black smoke, is inside the tip black?

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I have a 2015 stock lml. It has 4000 miles on it. I have never seen a regen message. I have been told by the dealer that it is probably doing light cleanings and not to be concerned. If that is the case they say I may not get a message. Does this make sense? I did get a add def at about 1600 miles. I put 3 gallon in it then. The dealer said it will probably give me the need def message at about 6000 miles. It is hard to get a definite answer. The book doesn't seem very clear about it.

There s no light indicating a regen, if your using def it's cleaning itself. It amazes me how litte some dealers actually know about these trucks...:eek:

swaggerstick

Aug 10, 2014
Indana
I think the 2015 Trucks show a Text message in the DIC saying that it is regenerating. At least that is what the book says. Don't think there is a light. I did find out there is a recall on "Power Steering Hose Clamps Inspection" And " They had to re program my puter because there is a glitch in "Something about racking up undriven miles on the Odometer" Not sure that one is a good description of the problem.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I think the 2015 Trucks show a Text message in the DIC saying that it is regenerating. At least that is what the book says. Don't think there is a light. I did find out there is a recall on "Power Steering Hose Clamps Inspection" And " They had to re program my puter because there is a glitch in "Something about racking up undriven miles on the Odometer" Not sure that one is a good description of the problem.

No they don't. Look in my sig...;)

I got the 2 recall notices in 2 days, one for power steering and another for harness chafing...

mario430

Jan 8, 2014
Phoenix Arizona
You might check over the truck, air filter in good shape? Any charge air system leaks, exhaust leaks? That is perfectly normal for the egt sensors to get 1200-1300 degrees during regen. Does the truck blow out any black smoke, is inside the tip black?

Airfilter is in good shape replaced with ACdelco 2 months ago

Not sure where to check for or how to check Charge Air system leaks or exhaust any advice on this would be awesome.

Truck does not blow out black smoke its clear. Inside is black but through that was normal?