LMM died fueling issue

csbsixsix

Mar 27, 2014
Wyo
Okay first post been creaping for a long time. Driving around town Sunday my truck died as I let off the throttle approaching a stop sign, wouldn't restart. Cracked the bleeder on my stock filter housing and it started sucking air like the entire fuel system was under vacuum. 3/4 tank of fuel and I can hear my fass 150 working but it's not returning any fuel. Assuming I have an air leak somewhere, anyone know where to start looking?

Kappa9012

MAN.... I Broke it again.
Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
could be a pinched supply line right where the braided line goes to a hard tube on the drivers side by the brake booster, those lines like to collapse. could be leaking filter head as well. do you get fuel to the filter head if you prime it manually?

csbsixsix

Mar 27, 2014
Wyo
No I don't think it's getting past the lift pump except when I leave it alone for a few hours. Maybe one of the supply lines between the stock fuel pickup and the lift pump collapsed? anyone had that happen or heard of it?

bigjake18

Apr 2, 2013
college station, tx
Idk about between fuel pump and the tank, I'm pretty sure that's all solid rubber hoses. Like stated above the braided by the brake booster kinks and the braided fuel line by the tranny before it goes up to the engine bay links also

csbsixsix

Mar 27, 2014
Wyo
If it were that far up in the system wouldnt the lift pump still be returning into the filler neck through its bypass?

csbsixsix

Mar 27, 2014
Wyo
Well I think it have it figured out. cracked line that runs from my pickup on the tank to the front near the cooler I just pulled that line and put the feed for the LP directly onto the male an fitting on on the puck up reprimed and it works fine now.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
If it happens again there could possibly be a piece of trash in your fuel tank that keeps getting in the pickup. That would explain the vaccum...

csbsixsix

Mar 27, 2014
Wyo
If it happens again there could possibly be a piece of trash in your fuel tank that keeps getting in the pickup. That would explain the vaccum...

I think you're right. I used my transfer pump on my slip tank to suck my tank dry before I dropped my tank and didn't see anything before I put it back in and refilled it. Probably should have put the filter back in. Just in a hurry because I took a nice diesel shower reconnecting fuel lines.

Tjohnson

Jun 28, 2014
Died with no restart.

Brief description, 2009 LMM CC SB 4x4. LOW MILES, 66,000 at 53k I had EFI Live and DPF delete done. Run great! 0 issues besides awesome fuel mileage like 16.8 at the lowest and 21.5 at the best so far. Now this morning cold start run for maybe 2 minutes idling. Truck dies. No codes. So I try it again runs briefly and dies again. So I notice the primer pump is down... So I crack the bleeder screw and there is a vacuum on the system and the primer comes up most of the way. Then I try to pump into reprime the filter because when it died it sounded as if it ran out of fuel. I noticed the fuel supply line was flatter then it had ever been. So after several attempts to prime up the filter with no avail I changed the near new filter and it would not prime so I took it off filled with fuel and put it back on. It ran. Till the filter was sucked dry. I check fuel cap to see if it had a vacuum on it, it did not. So I then read a thread on here with a bad filter housing. I run to the local dealer, bought one, installed and no difference. So now I have undone the supply line at the housing, hooked up another hose and ran it to a gallon jug with fuel now it runs fine as long as it is not hooked to the actual truck fuel line. And as soon as I do hook it to the truck fuel line it sucks the filter dry and it dies... So tomorrow I will pull the bed and look in the tank...

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Check the fuel lines where they go from hard to soft next to the tranny. They are know to collapse. The OP had a lift pump so that most likely wasn't his issue but it could be yours...

csbsixsix

Mar 27, 2014
Wyo
Ya mine was due to stuff in my tank clogging the stock pickup. Dropped the tank and cleaned it again and went with a Hellman fuel sump. But yours does sound a lot like what I was dealing with, try just a little bit of positive pressure back through the line. Truck died on me driving in the middle of nowhere to location. Only thing it had was my tire inflater from walmart, it was a bit crude but definetly confirmed the problem.

Tjohnson

Jun 28, 2014
LMM died. Fueling issue.

Well good news, I took the gentleman's advice for blowing air down the fuel line and had my lovely wife listen for air bubbles. And voila! We had air bubbles. I hooked the trucks fuel line back to the filter housing and it ran, died, re-primed the filter and bam it's running!!! Thanks a million for the information. I will pull the bed later today to look in the tank for debris!:D

csbsixsix

Mar 27, 2014
Wyo
No problem, it's pretty damn frustrating but turned out to be an easy fix when I finally realized what is was. Drained and cleaned my tank when I did the sump and I never did figure out what was in it. Some dirty fuel somewhere though. Just watch where you get your diesel.