LMM: LMM Build

AustinM

Mar 28, 2015
I've had my 07.5 reg cab for about a year now. I bought it with a 6" lift, 4" Turbo back exhaust. It has 117K Mi now, and i installed an auto cal tuner by Kory wills.
I want to start doing things to her but I'm not sure where to start. End state would be 800+hp and fast, but I want to do it right. I don't have any experience with building a truck. I would be grateful for any advice given. Thanks

AustinM

Mar 28, 2015
I'm looking to build it over the next year, so this isn't going to be next week. I'm expecting to spend about 10K on it, but that may be under estimating it. My biggest concern since I'll be doing it over the next year and I drive the truck almost daily (but not far 7K last year with a trip from TX to WV and back); is that I do everything in the correct order and safely for my truck.

AustinM

Mar 28, 2015
Well it seems I under estimated the cost then. I can raise the budget for the build, that's not the issue. I am looking to do as much of the work as I can but I'm not mechanically inclined enough or have the facilities to do everything myself.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
You will be amazed at how fast that truck would be on a max effort tune with a built trans... For 10K you could build the trans. upgrade turbo/turbos, the fuel system & have a lot of fun embarrassing people on the street...

If your dead set on 800hp first. I would pick up a Hoopty/rez rocket for a daily driver while you build your engine and what not.

AustinM

Mar 28, 2015
The 800 isn't life or death. I'm just saying end state I want a really fast well built truck.

So you would build the trans first? or knock out the fuel system?

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Transmission first, Lift pump and max effort tuning. If the CP3 and injectors are healthy it should be in the 550RWHP range. From there you can upgrade Turbo/turbos or look at bigger injectors/fuel pump/pumps. That's how I would do it to get the most bang for your buck. If you don't have the funds to build it for 800hp all at once, it's going to sit for a extended period of time while you earn money to finish it.

Last edited:

AustinM

Mar 28, 2015
How would you guys go about building the trans? and what lift pump and fuel pumps do you recommend buying?

Also when it comes to turbos. would you keep the stock turbo and add a bigger compound turbo? Or would you replace both?

melms23

Jul 30, 2011
WI
I have the same truck with no lift. I did a built trans, 40 overs and s475 over stock 3 years ago. Super fun to drive and in the 600hp range i would think. That was roughly 8k. Just bought the parts for a built motor for 6800. It will be another 2k for the machine work and dual cp3s im sure.

All together it will be around 16k and still would need more air and bigger injectors to be around 800hp.

Just my experience so far.

AustinM

Mar 28, 2015
Thanks man! I think I'm realizing that 800 hp is much harder to achieve then I expected. I think I am going to do the trans first, it seems to be the general consensus. What is the best kit to buy for the trans?