LLY w/built trans vs LBZ w/o trans

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
There's a kid around here who has a really nice CC/SB LBZ who thinks his truck is bad to the bone. He's one of those kids just about to get out of high school who likes to blow black smoke, lope tunes, etc, all funded by daddys money obviously.

Anyway, he thinks his truck is super fast with his stock 6 speed allison and his tunes by Longhorn Fab. He's got a downpipe, exhaust, traction bars, with a lift and everything but I'm not quite sure how longhorn tunes run when paired with Robs built tranny tuning.

I'm not NOT confident in robs tunes, I'm just curious since LBZs have more HP from the factory than the LLY, along with the 6 speed allison compared to the 5 speed. Everyone I've talked to who have riden in his truck says Its pretty damn quick.

I'd like to think all the money I spent will at least help me school some longhorn fab kids. Anything I should be worried about?

LbzDMax07

Dec 16, 2013
PA
Lifted I wouldn't think much over 60 hp and be reliable. Longhorn tunes are garbage, been there done that.

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
Lifted I wouldn't think much over 60 hp and be reliable. Longhorn tunes are garbage, been there done that.

As much as I hate to start tuner bashing, I'be heard the same. I'm in a few Duramax groups on Facebook and the guy from Longhorn is determined to say that all the duramax forums have a personal vendetta against him for not wanting to pay to be a supporting vendor or something.

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
I've seen several bone stock 6 speeds hold a 150 tune for years before limping. As long as you get him on the launch you'll get him easily.

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
I've seen several bone stock 6 speeds hold a 150 tune for years before limping. As long as you get him on the launch you'll get him easily.

Yeah the launch is what im worried about. Id like to do 4x4 launches but dont have tie rods or traction bars yet.

Probably need to buy a turbo first but who knows haha

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
Lol yeah. Maybe he will crack a piston like your sig says haha

But then his parents would just fund his built motor project lol

Seriously though, I'm not worried. Ive got some new tired coming on the next few days, going with 265s instead of the 285s I have on now, so we will see what happens eventually

Aug 3, 2013
Arizona
Those 6 speeds hold up pretty well to power.. A friend of mine finally limped his trans on his 06 after 2+ years of drving on a ppe 225 tune. I know the ppe power is measured at the crank but thats still a big ass tune for a stock trans, it was pretty quick... BUT, you will still whip him with the built trans :thumb:

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
Those 6 speeds hold up pretty well to power.. A friend of mine finally limped his trans on his 06 after 2+ years of drving on a ppe 225 tune. I know the ppe power is measured at the crank but thats still a big ass tune for a stock trans, it was pretty quick... BUT, you will still whip him with the built trans :thumb:

He's talking about going over to Korys tunes eventually, not sure if that will make any difference or not.

Its funny even though I have my trans built, I still think about the possibility of limping it haha, its something i cant get over

Aug 3, 2013
Arizona
He's talking about going over to Korys tunes eventually, not sure if that will make any difference or not.

Its funny even though I have my trans built, I still think about the possibility of limping it haha, its something i cant get over

I think if i had my trans built with max effort tuning, I would be one of those guys that thinks he can beat most anything on the road lol

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
I think if i had my trans built with max effort tuning, I would be one of those guys that thinks he can beat most anything on the road lol

Lol even with mine built, I still dont feel confident. My CP3 only makes 23kpsi when my tune calls for 26kpsi, so theres that lol. Then there are a few guys around here with the same mods as mine, but with an LBZ, so im pretty sure they have me on that with max effort tuning

And then theres Shane Phinney driving around with like 900hp haha

I just need a bigger turbo and new cp3 then ill be good

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada
Never limped the stock tranny in my lbz with built trans tuning from kory. The one time it did I was on my 150 and passing a truck on the highway. Difference between built and non built transmission on the 230 max effort tune at the track was about .3 seconds.

I think I can safely say you have this. Lifts do terrible things to power.

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
Never limped the stock tranny in my lbz with built trans tuning from kory. The one time it did I was on my 150 and passing a truck on the highway. Difference between built and non built transmission on the 230 max effort tune at the track was about .3 seconds.

I think I can safely say you have this. Lifts do terrible things to power.

So Kory will sell you built trans tuning even if you have a stock tranny? Interesting.

For a long while I was just going to keep my trans stock as well and go with John Kennedys tunes, but decided go big or go home. My wallet does not appreciate that