LLY Coolant Leak (Front Driver's Side)

Npushor

Sep 24, 2024
Connecticut
Looking for some help in pinpointing the source of a coolant leak on an '05 LLY and get some thoughts on the best course of action.

I have a persistent coolant leak from the front driver's side of the truck -- it seems to create a small puddle halfway between the driver's side wheel and the block (roughly underneath the fog light as a visual). It seems to leak when parked as I will come out in the morning to a slightly larger spot every day. I am not sure if it's truly leaking when parked or if it's just residual from being driven, but if the truck sits for a couple of days, I can see the stain on the rag I put underneath it slowly grow over time. It's not a large leak -- maybe a drop or two every day. I check coolant levels every week and they seem to be slowly decreasing over time.

As you can see from the picture, there is coolant on the steering box where the shaft goes in.

Automotive tire Tread Wood Rim Tints and shades

Automotive tire Tread Wood Rim Tints and shades

I understand that the oil cooler pipe meets the water pump above it and the seal could have failed there, but it's totally dry all the way around where they meet which is what is kind of perplexing me. I am not seeing any other signs of loose/cracked hoses around that area.

I am also seeing a small leak on the hose coming down from the water pump, which is leading me to believe the weep hole in the water pump is leaking indicating it's time for a replacement. I will also note that I have a subtle RPM dependent whine from the front driver's side, which leads me to wonder about the water pump further.

Is it possible all of this leaking is originating from a bad water pump and that is what's coating the steering box? Or could it be the other way around that the seal between the oil cooler pipe and the water pump has failed and that is creating a leak that appears to be coming from the weep hole.

I have no problem digging into the water pump and replacing it, but if it's just a seal, I would hate to spend the extra money on a new water pump. I am wondering if there are other common sources of coolant leaks on the front driver's side. I would also not rule out the potential that both the seal and the water pump are failing simultaneously (that would be my luck!).

Would you sideline the truck until the issue is resolved in case the water pump is the source of the issue?

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated!