Limp Mode

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
Looking for a bit of help here. I don't have anything but an Edge Insight to read codes so all I got in P0700 which I know is no help.

Basically trans temp will get up to 200*F and throw check engine light and go into limp mode. Is this too hot or is there something else that's my problem?

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
It's 15*F out. Had fia winter cover on with flaps open. I have an issue with my t-bolt I believe because engine always runs 170* doesn't matter if it's middle of summer and 90* out.

So engine temp was 170* and trans was 200* plus and only 15* out.

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
It seemed a little high to me, but I didn't think I was overheating it. This is the hottest I've ever seen it and I've ran it harder is hotter weather. I was only driving 30 mph because of the snow this morning?

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
200+ seems a little unreasonable for an empty truck in 15* weather...

I wouldn't think the air dam would cause that, but IDK fer sure, seems like the trans is making it's own heat internally...
Has it been slipping shifts lately?

I would assume you've checked the fluid level and smelled the fluid, I might change the spin on filter if it were mine, maybe cut it open and look for debris

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
It seemed a little high to me, but I didn't think I was overheating it. This is the hottest I've ever seen it and I've ran it harder is hotter weather. I was only driving 30 mph because of the snow this morning?

It's gonna run hotter when 4x4 is engaged, but it still shouldn't be getting hot enough to cause limp mode

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
Looked over at the insight and saw 202* started looking for a side road to pull down trans had climbed to 222* by the time I pulled over. Took the grill cover right off and opened the hood and let it cool down. Checked the fluid level at 215* and fluid was at the top of the cross hatches for hot. Would that make sense? Normally you're supposed to check at ~160*?

Clear the code put the truck in drive and just let it idle no gas, feel it drop into neutral and then go into 4th.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I don't think heat is your problem, it seems you have an issue causing the heat. I've heard under certain situations engine temp will be too low for the thermostats to open causing the trans to heat up. Like extended grade braking before the engine is up to temp.

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
Fluid almost looks watered down? Doesn't smell burnt, doesn't look black or brown. It's almost a pale pink colour. Not the bright red?

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
Is there anyway coolant could be mixing with the trans fluid at the radiator? Or would I have much bigger issues with coolant in the trans?

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Is there anyway coolant could be mixing with the trans fluid at the radiator? Or would I have much bigger issues with coolant in the trans?

If the trans fluid is milky id say the cooler let go in the radiator.

Would kinda explain the high temps and limp.. How's the coolant look?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Alli won't go into hot mode till the temp gets to 258F. Level should be checked at or around 175F and should be no higher than the middle of HOT grid. Make sure you read both sides of the stick. If one side is lower; use that side as your reference as the higher side will be splash.
Also, the spin on filter is a low pressure filter ( 125psi ) and has nothing to do with heat. If you need to check a filter it should be the sump filter as that's the one that can cause a heat problem.

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
If I cleared the codes are they stored or do I have to get it to limp again?

I've got a used autocal at home that isn't licensed for my truck can I use it to read codes or will it not work without a license?

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
I know you need codes to really help. I'm expecting an AutoCal in the next couple days.

Well drained a bit of fluid and it looked good, nice red colour and no burnt smell. Pulled the bell housing inspection cover and torque converter is hot as f*ck. Trucks been sitting now for 3.5hrs, trans fluid is 82* and torque converter is too hot to touch?