Lift Pump

jchav62

NM Duramax
Oct 12, 2017
Albuquerque, NM
Hey all. Did a search, but didn't come up with a straight answer, not that I have a question... I just ordered a Air Dog 100gpf lift pump for my '03 LB7. I'll be doing the installation myself. I was just looking for any pointers on the install...and perhaps priming. It seems pretty straight forward from the videos I've watched, just want to cover all my bases before I tear into it.

Thanks in advance!

JC62

aashton1206

Sep 3, 2015
Drive till you have less than a quarter and drop the tank. And get the metal fuel line disconnect tools before hand that have a really deep shoulder. Makes it much easier.

2004 Silverado Cali lb7, Airdog ll 165, fresh sticks at 325k, Rick Fletes Dsp 5 on v2, 33x12.5 nitto at on 20 inch American Racing 20x10 wheels, Stage 5 Built Transmission by Mike Cole with triple disc billet low stall converter, 4 inch Injen cold air intake, Profab Intake Horn, Batmo Wheel, PPE Race Valve, Full EGR Removed w/ fed belt, 3.5 inch MBRP Downpipe, Full five inch MBRP Exhaust axle dump, lbz cp3 pump, Dual Platinum AGM Duralast, High Output Alternator, Cognito Pittman and idler w/ support kit, Cognito Upper Contol arms, Drilled and Slotted Rotors on all four Corners, FED Y Bridge, Shantz Custom Fab Traction Bars.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
With the 100GPH pump, I wouldn't use a straw. I have the 165 and pull through the factory pickup, and I have no problems at 660+ WHP.

bigwhitedd

Mar 6, 2017
I would run the feed line from the air dog all the way to the engine bypassing the factory metal line under the truck. The quick connect will plug right in on top of the driver valve cover. I didn't run mine that way at first. But did later. Mine didn't come with the straw.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

aashton1206

Sep 3, 2015
Been on stock draw at 600hp for 2 years

2004 Silverado Cali lb7, Airdog ll 165, fresh sticks at 325k, Rick Fletes Dsp 5 on v2, 33x12.5 nitto at on 20 inch American Racing 20x10 wheels, Stage 5 Built Transmission by Mike Cole with triple disc billet low stall converter, 4 inch Injen cold air intake, Profab Intake Horn, Batmo Wheel, PPE Race Valve, Full EGR Removed w/ fed belt, 3.5 inch MBRP Downpipe, Full five inch MBRP Exhaust axle dump, lbz cp3 pump, Dual Platinum AGM Duralast, High Output Alternator, Cognito Pittman and idler w/ support kit, Cognito Upper Contol arms, Drilled and Slotted Rotors on all four Corners, FED Y Bridge, Shantz Custom Fab Traction Bars.

Summit_Rider

Jun 6, 2016
Is a lift pump less noisy sucking through a bigger draw straw or sump rather than the factory pickup?

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
I recommend addressing the factory pick up no matter what HP you're making. The LLY I did was a 3/8 opening and my LMM was close to 5/16. My truck was holding rail but after running a 5/8 line it pulled so much harder on the big end. Driving around there was a noticeable difference in throttle response.

Summit_Rider

Jun 6, 2016
I recommend addressing the factory pick up no matter what HP you're making. The LLY I did was a 3/8 opening and my LMM was close to 5/16. My truck was holding rail but after running a 5/8 line it pulled so much harder on the big end. Driving around there was a noticeable difference in throttle response.

Do you recommend sump or bigger draw straw? I ask because I just bought a used fass 150 from a member of this forum and it came with an un used bigger draw straw kit should I use it or buy a beans sump? My buddy has the same pump on an lml, he initially had it drawing from the factory pickup and it was loud, he has since put a sump on and you can hardly hear it now. I’m willing to spend the money for a sump if it’s quieter than the big straw.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Do you recommend sump or bigger draw straw? I ask because I just bought a used fass 150 from a member of this forum and it came with an un used bigger draw straw kit should I use it or buy a beans sump? My buddy has the same pump on an lml, he initially had it drawing from the factory pickup and it was loud, he has since put a sump on and you can hardly hear it now. I’m willing to spend the money for a sump if it’s quieter than the big straw.

I've never ran a sump. I've done bigger straw and I've modified the factory pickup

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I'd recommend a sump, personally. The big reason being is sucking though the factory straw increases the load on the pump (Gmduramax isn't lying, the factory pickup is pathetic) and even with a larger straw, you're still asking the pump to work against gravity.

I run a fuelab 40402 with a sump, which is 160gph @ 15PSI. A slight hum and zero vibrations when the engine is off and you don't hear a thing with it running.

Prior, I had a holley hp-150 and it was horrible for noise and vibrations, that was however going through the factory draw. At idle you could feel and hear that one (both were/are mounted solidly to the frame). That said, the holley was a gearator design and brushed and those are inherently louder.

jchav62

NM Duramax
Oct 12, 2017
Albuquerque, NM
I received the lift pump yesterday evening. You guys were right, the 100gph doesn't come with a straw. Would adding a sump be a good idea?

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Sump is a fine and easy idea. But if it's an old tank,keep some extra filters on hand, as the bottom of that tank is likely gooey hehe

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I don't like sumps for a truck that gets used. I got scratches on the bottom of my tank from driving back roads, hunting, etc. Tons of people have made 500hp with a bigger straw and billet pickup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
It's a risk, but you can put a hole in your tank or yank a brake line off just as easy.

The sump is just easy to do. I'd like a toolbox fuel tank one of these days, best of all world's except bed space haha

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I'm at 660 wheel HP on the stock fuel pickup, and my AirDog II-4G DF-165 is whisper quiet, can't hear it at idle even outside the truck.

You're only fighting gravity to prime the pump if you run it dry. Once it is primed, it will siphon, and head pressure at the pump will be identical to a sump.

I'm with Dozerboy, a sump is a big risk if you use your tuck. I've scraped most the paint off my Allison pan, and it's the shallow pan (for exactly that reason). I guess if your truck is a mall crawler or pavement princess, a sump will be fine. But it is amazing how much stuff scrapes the bottom of a truck off-road.

Sent from my Cat S60 using Tapatalk