LMM: LED Headlights

gpn

Oct 18, 2016
Sunshine and Big Holes
I burned out another low beam and thought I'd see what is going on the in the LED world these days. I've switched most of my life over to LED so maybe it is time for the pickup?

I hate the HID bulbs that are blue and blind everyone on the road so that is not what I want... I just want a bright light that I won't have to replace every year. Are there good options out there now? I've got the factory reflectors on my 09 GMC LMM.

Thanks!

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I burned out another low beam and thought I'd see what is going on the in the LED world these days. I've switched most of my life over to LED so maybe it is time for the pickup?

I hate the HID bulbs that are blue and blind everyone on the road so that is not what I want... I just want a bright light that I won't have to replace every year. Are there good options out there now? I've got the factory reflectors on my 09 GMC LMM.

Thanks!

I had morimoro leds in my lb7. Nice well built bulb but pricey. Opt7 makes decent ones too. Your best option is to split it open and put a projector in it with good HID bulbs.

gmac32

Dec 8, 2009
bellville ohio
I just put some in my wifes suburban and they are amazing. They are way better than hids and are instantly on. No warm up time needed

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
I have put all LED bulbs in the front end of my truck.

Highs, lows, fogs and turn signals.

I don’t have much night time driving with them yet but so far I really like them. Ended up going with Stark LED bulbs.

beach_33

Feb 18, 2008
des moines, IA
Check out DDM tuning led bulbs. I went with them up front on all my lights and am more than pleased. Well built build with built in cooling fans

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Ya if you don’t want to blind people and be able to use the light you need projector housings. Watch the reviews if you get cheap eBay housings. They can be worse then stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hntngkd

Jun 24, 2013
Attica, Mi
firewireleds.com get my vote. I had HIDs and kept having issues with them flickering and not turning on. Switched to these leds and theyre just as bright as my 6ks were.

ShopSpecialties

Jun 4, 2008
Grass Range, Montana
GTR Lighting, Supernova V.3 are both good ones. Check out Headlight Revolution they have a lot of good videos showing you the difference between different brands/types of lights.

cdbright

JUST RENT IT
Dec 16, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
i ran SPIDERS in my LMM and they would burn out as well. Maybe i had a voltage issue but i traded her in so it is somebody else prob now :rofl::rofl:

gpn

Oct 18, 2016
Sunshine and Big Holes
They are no good unless you have the housing they were designed for, HID and proj. is your best bet

This is something that I am curious about. Do all these LED mfg put the light source in the same spot as the halogen bulb so that it reflects correctly? If no one does then I'll skip the LED on factory housings. Just not worth it.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
No just like HIDs LEDs need a projector housing to keep for binding people and get the most out of the higher light output.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShopSpecialties

Jun 4, 2008
Grass Range, Montana
There are a couple of LED bulbs that are very close to the stock halogen bulb pattern. Headlight Revolution has some great videos showing different brands of LED bulbs in stock housings. A lot of the bulbs out there are terrible at blinding people.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Daboot162

Jul 19, 2017
I have put all LED bulbs in the front end of my truck.

Highs, lows, fogs and turn signals.

I don’t have much night time driving with them yet but so far I really like them. Ended up going with Stark LED bulbs.

Did you have any issues with them effecting your other lights working properly? I put a set of led parking/turn/driving lights along with fog and headlights. Both low/high beam. When my lights are on, my turn signal stays on. When I turn my right turn signal on, they both come on. I read about resistors due to the lack of current, and put resistors in on the thrn signal. Still have the same problem.

Any ideas?

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
Did you have any issues with them effecting your other lights working properly? I put a set of led parking/turn/driving lights along with fog and headlights. Both low/high beam. When my lights are on, my turn signal stays on. When I turn my right turn signal on, they both come on. I read about resistors due to the lack of current, and put resistors in on the thrn signal. Still have the same problem.

Any ideas?

Mine worked fine but I did have to get updated BCM tuning.

Mar 28, 2015
Blue Springs, MO
I use 35W HID's in the low beam and LED's in the high beam. The LED high beams don't seem to emit as much light as an HID but at least there is no warm up time. I will say though, my LED's are pretty old so there are probably way better ones now. As far as the HID's go, I have been using these DDM tuning HID's for 5 years without any problems.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I used morimoto in my lb7. Very expensive and well built, but they weren’t as bright as I wanted. I tried opt7’s top of the line and they weren’t as well built but were just as bright and cheaper. The brightest ones I’ve had were a cheap eBay brand called mostplus. Supposedly 120w (year right) but had 4 COB elements and were insanely bright with a nice scatter. And they only cost me $30. They only lasted a year but they actually warrantied them