Leather 300 way powered seats from an 05 installed in 02 now how do I get heat?

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
Good evening,

I got some seats from an 05 that I installed in my 02. Everything is great but I would like to have heat. I am sure that can be done and that it's been done before but I can't find any information on it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Simon

Jordan

Feb 17, 2011
I can't help ya with the heat, but if ya don't mind me asking how much did you pay for the interior?

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
Found a great deal for 320$ CAN for the seats used of course. They are in pretty mint shape for that price. I knew right away when I saw the ad online that I was getting a deal so I called right away and went to pick them up. I just so wish I could find some info on switching the heat on them.

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
Well I have done a little research on the subject but so far I am in the cold... reviving this thread!

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I don't think you can use the control module from the 05 in an 02. I'd imagine you'd have to make a controller of some sort. I am not sure if the factory uses a duty cycle or feedback to control temperature (I'd guess a simple duty cycle, since my seats never hold a constant temp), but either way would work.

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
I think you are right... The 03+ seats are wired much differently than the 99-02's. The seats in the earlier trucks were wired directly from the driver seat module (under the seat) to the switch on the door. On the later models the switch is wired to the driver door module which both resides in the door which is then connected to the seat module under the seat. Now the driver door module does not exist in the 02. This renders this almost impossible... The heated functions are much different as well on 03+ compared to the 02's so the 02 switch wouldn't really work.

The only thing I can think of now is to get an aftermarket kit without the heating pads and use it's wiring and connect the factory heating pads. I am not even sure if that will work although as the factory heating pads might require a different output.

Any help is appreciated :)

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Any help is appreciated :)
Techline eSI to the rescue! I attached any relevant documents I could find from the eSI program, so that might get you started.

In the description of operation, it says the seat elements are fed battery voltage (~12V DC) and switched on and off to maintain the temperature. To determine the temperature, the thermistor (temp. sensor) is fed 5V DC, and the resistance varies based on the temperature.

It also appears the Class 2 data bus is used to communicate between the Driver Door Module and Memory Seat Module, so without that working, you'll have to make your own controller. A microprocessor and some FETs would make a really nice controller, but that might be beyond what you want to do.

Or-- simply make an on/off switch to the elements, and turn it on and off as you get hot/cool. This would be the easiest method, by far.

Attachments

• Heated Seat Schematic.pdf
    23.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Heated Seat Controls.pdf
    58.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Heated Seat Description.pdf
    81 KB · Views: 2
  • Power Seat Systems Connector End Views.pdf
    202.2 KB · Views: 2