LBZ/LLY Cab swap

Carsonmf14

Sep 18, 2024
Kansas
I have a 2005 duramax im currently in the process of pulling motor out to put brand new heads on and a full gasket kit (I already have all of this). I just came across a 2006 cab and rolling chassis with no drivetrain on FB Marketplace that is 10x cleaner than my current truck. I’m wondering if I were to buy this 2006, what all would need to be done to get my current lly drivetrain to work in this truck, as far as wiring harness that is on that truck, ecu, etc. I’m sure I’d have to swap ecu, no big deal. My main concern is all the wiring especially going from the 6 speed trans to 5, any sensors that the lbz would have that mine doesn’t, would I basically have to take the entire wiring harness out of my 05 and put in the 06 truck? Any help is appreciated thanks.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Just convert your current engine to run on LBZ electronics, and source parts to swap your 5spd to a 6spd valve body and NSBU. How much of the truck wiring is left unmolested on the 2006?

Reactions: 2004LB7

Carsonmf14

Sep 18, 2024
Kansas
Just convert your current engine to run on LBZ electronics, and source parts to swap your 5spd to a 6spd valve body and NSBU. How much of the truck wiring is left unmolested on the 2006?
What all would that entail? Basically just every sensor or just a select few? I’m pretty educated on electronics, but not familiar with duramax stuff. Only ever had this Lly. And all of the wiring is there too give or take maybe a couple broke plugs. I do have access to the 6 speed. It’s actually still in it he was going to pull it if I bought the truck. But with doing that I’m assuming I may as well upgrade and buy the tranny off him too.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
What all would that entail? Basically just every sensor or just a select few? I’m pretty educated on electronics, but not familiar with duramax stuff. Only ever had this Lly. And all of the wiring is there too give or take maybe a couple broke plugs. I do have access to the 6 speed. It’s actually still in it he was going to pull it if I bought the truck. But with doing that I’m assuming I may as well upgrade and buy the tranny off him too.
The reluctor wheel count is different, you'll need to grind a tooth off on the LLY wheel, you'll need the LBZ engine harness and splice on the LLY injector pigtails. Obviously LBZ ecm / tcm which I'm assuming is still on the roller chassis? As far as I'm aware you shouldn't need to be splicing a bunch or changing a lot of sensors aside from rail pressure sensor and the FPR, which could really be updated in the tune file if you decide against it.

If you're building the transmission it's kind of a wash whether you'd like to start with the 6spd or just convert your 5spd if you'd still need to purchase the whole thing from him.