LBZ build questions

Blackhatch

Dec 29, 2009
I acquired a complete LBZ motor with everything attached. Motor was starting to push coolant on the passenger side back cylinder but came out of running truck and there should be no issues with it.

I have a 2006 and my truck, for a myriad of reasons, has sat for about the last 2 years. I am not sure what (besides bad fuel) issues that I have created for my powerplant in this case.

Donor motor is complete with injectors and turbo. Turbo has some definitely play in it (220K on motor).

I would like to build this spare motor to somewhere in the 6-700 HP range. I know that pistons are the weak points in these motors and I want to be able to turn up the wick more than they are supposedly good to.

What I don't know (which is alot) are the following:

- How much HP to run into the 12's in this truck (crew cap short bed)
- What levels are the rods good too
- When does head work come into play
- How much over would the injectors need to be
- Guessing dual fueler is a must here
- What turbo system/size will I need to run

Burning question is this....if making 700 HP safely included rods, why wouldn't I go up and just add more fuel and make more?

Parts that I do have that never made it on are:
- EFI live
- 5" Magnaflow
- Air Dog kit
- Diamond Eye (I would love to do a custom exhaust and make my own system here. Time to start bartering with buddy that is a welder.
- bunch of other stuff

As far as purpose for the truck, it doesn't do any heavy towing at this point as I have work vehicles to replace that. I just want a fast, bad-ass, looking truck.

On that front, what lift kit is popular now in that 6-8" range.

Thanks.

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
I ran numerous 12.0 passes in my cc/sb lly. Tune, built trans, S366, lift pump. Stock injectors and cp3.

A built trans truck running tunes and a lift pump shouldn't have much trouble running in the 12's.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
I ran deep into the 12s on a completely stock motor. At full weight it would run 12.6x all day long. It was making around 530rwhp. You should replace the pistons at minimum and do an alternate fire cam whileyoure in there. Stock rods have held 700hp before. It all depends on how far you want to go. For a turbo, a Danville 68stg2r would be perfect with some 60s and dual pumps or 10mm Exergy. Thatll put you in the 700s and comfortably in the 11s.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
x2 Stock motor will get you into the 12s all day long. Stock transmission, on the other hand, not so much.....

Low366Dmax

Pin it to win it
Aug 23, 2013
NH
I've gone 11.6 stock motor 366 and nitrous many of times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackhatch

Dec 29, 2009
+1

Didn't know these things would hold together like this as you hear nightmares stories about +400 HP LBZ machines puking out pistons.

So lets assume that I am going to put pistons in it at a minimum and to be perfectly honest....probably rods.

What are the cranks in these good to at that point?

Next question is when fuel becomes a limiting factor and you need to up the pump to a dual fueler?

Recommendations on turbo kits are are there good rebuild kits out there for the stock unit if that is still utilized in these cases.

I guess I can up my HP projections if I am going to put rods and pistons in it then.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Cranks is a can of worms just like the Pistons. Some fail at near stock levels.

You need dual or stroker pumps for more then 600-650 hp.

You can rebuild the stock turbo but for the price I would get one of Mark's 3794s.

Yes....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Blackhatch

Dec 29, 2009
Anything you can do to check the cranks? I really love that stroker set up but goodness gracious it ain't cheap.

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
No not really. You could have it checked while it was out but that doesn't mean it couldn't fail right away.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Blackhatch

Dec 29, 2009
Well...that kind of sucks.

Are guys good on these at under 1K HP?

What the cut off point where the truck isn't totally street friendly with twins?

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Well...that kind of sucks.

Are guys good on these at under 1K HP?

What the cut off point where the truck isn't totally street friendly with twins?

The cranks are a crap shoot. Some fail stock power, some live long lives in a pure competition motor.

Depends on the setup of how street friendly it is. Upgrading to a modded vvt and thEn doing compounds seems to be the ticket. Quite a few members here have a 10 second 1K+Hp DD.

Blackhatch

Dec 29, 2009
I was commenting on the 10 sec on and 1,000HP compound comment.

I meant that to sound like I was loving what you said. Hope you didn't take it as otherwise.

Just looking for advice on parts suppliers to start this build and turbo system recommendations.

Sorry if it came out wrong.

Stancedlb7

Cummin Stroke this Duramax
Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
Ok, here's my :2cents: First: lly/lb7 pistons, and built trans, duel fuel or stroker cp3. Stock turbo and a little spray will put you deep in the 12s at a decent race weight. Hell, you MIGHT even see high 11s.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
I was commenting on the 10 sec on and 1,000HP compound comment.

I meant that to sound like I was loving what you said. Hope you didn't take it as otherwise.

Just looking for advice on parts suppliers to start this build and turbo system recommendations.

Sorry if it came out wrong.

No worries! :thumb: I wasnt sure if you understood my abbreviations and Im more than happy to clear anything up. We have many good vendors here like Mark Broviak, ATP Trucks(Idaho Rob), Mike L, Evan@Limitless, HSPDiesel just to name a few. Mark is a wizard with turbos and modded VVTs. Mike L is a trans guru. Rob is one of the best tuners around. HSP builds killer turbo kits and crazy competition parts. Your best bet is to give a few shops a call and talk with them about your goals.

Blackhatch

Dec 29, 2009
Thanks guys.

I think I want to go bigger to run in the 12's solidly on fuel alone.

I will start calling around. :thumb::thumb: