LB7 with LMM components

H8Acura

Jun 19, 2024
NC
Here's the rub. I have a 2001 Silverado 4x4 with a toasted LB7. It has been overheated until the pistons and cylinder heads melted, camshaft spun a bearing, etc. This engine is no good, except for the crankshaft. I was gifted a 2007.5 Silverado 2wd with LMM. The LMM has a broken crankshaft. I'd like to take the LB7 crankshaft and build the LMM, then put all the 2007.5 (stuff) in the 01', several different ideas here.
1. Swap everything over, dash, wiring, everything. This would leave the 4x4 problem if I managed to fit it all in the 01'.
2. Use LMM heads, and injectors. Will the LB7 harness work with these injectors?
3. Just build another LB7 and use the transmission and TCM from 2007.5 to get 6'th gear.

Open to ideas, I know this is going to be a lot of work no matter which approach I take. I'm trying to keep it low budget. The only engine upgrades I plan for is a fluid dampener and alternate fire camshaft. I'd like to get started ASAP, but I need to order parts and right out of the gate the PN for the Fluid Dampener is different for LB7 then LMM.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
In your LB7 it's a vastly different wiring and communication protocol vehicle. So to use LMM parts as you want it's kinda an all or nothing approach. If you want the 6th gear and TCM to get it the TCM won't interface with the LB7 ECM

Depending on how much work you want to do, either swap all the LMM stuf over including all the wiring, harness, modules, etc or use the LMM short block to fix your LB7

There are a number of threads here discussing the difference between pre 04 and 04+ electrical and engine swaps. You should read up on q few to see if your plan has any possibilities of happening vs how much work your willing to put into it

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I'm with the others, too much work. Take the possibly good bottom end (50/50 shot IMO on a broken crank touching the mains) and find some used cylinder heads. You would have to balance the engine regardless as the LB7/LLY rotating assembly is different as are the damper/flexplate setup. You would have to use your LB7 damper/flexplate/crank as a unit and then have it balanced for the LBZ/LMM bobweights.

Or find a used LB7 engine that needs an overhaul and have no issues with fitments etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheBac