LB7 Owners

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Since getting rid of my LLY I, in some capacity have missed having a Duramax. For daily driver LB7 guys would you do it again? Pros/cons over newer MYs? I understand injectors are prone to failure and a bitch to get to. I have been a fan of the 01-02 Chevy front end since they came out but the LB7 injector issues makes me apprehensive.

duramaxdiesel

Dmax Nut
Oct 23, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I love my 2 LB7's and would do it over again. Both are '01's and I love that look. But like you said, changing injectors is inevitable. Just get a set of BOSCH remans and you'll be fine.

Nick

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Just setup a little savings account and keep putting in a little cash each paycheck. By the time the injectors fail hopefully you have a good chunk ready!

duramaxdiesel

Dmax Nut
Oct 23, 2008
Montreal, Canada
BOSCH is what GM uses. I have a shitload of miles on my Dually with new Bosch remans and all is good. I just make sure to treat each and every tank with conditioner. That and change the fuel filter regularly. For better peace of mind I put a Nicktane on the LB7 too with the CAT 2 micron filter.

Nick

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Okay wasn't sure on which mfgr GM used. That is really my only hang up since I prefer that front clip, cloth seats and it would just be a fun DD nothing crazy.

dirtydmax

<---up shit creek
Sep 1, 2013
muskoka,Ont Canada
Once you do a set or three of lb7 injectors you get real good, real fast ,and it really isn't that bad to do.no worse than lly/lbz imo.And they are cheaper too:thumb:

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Once you do a set or three of lb7 injectors you get real good, real fast ,and it really isn't that bad to do.no worse than lly/lbz imo.And they are cheaper too:thumb:

Agreed :thumb:
Heck, once you've done one side it gets easier, haha.

I put new injectors in my 03 around Octover 2010 and mine might be going out again, I need to check a few things first. I replaced them with Bosch remains.

Even though the injectors are a problem and I'd really like to run a VVT, I'd do it again in hard beat. They're so simple and easy to work on.

Yellowchevy

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Just setup a little savings account and keep putting in a little cash each paycheck. By the time the injectors fail hopefully you have a good chunk ready!

Considering parts alone are over $1500, this is the best advice I've read concerning LB7 injectors.

While I love the 2-1/2 LB7s I have owned and have had no issues working on them, I would gladly trade them for an LBZ.

blitzin247

That didn't sound good...
Feb 9, 2013
Everywhere
I loved my lb7 but I dont plan on ever going back to a pound7. Oldest I would go is LLY, simply because of tearing down for injectors. Next go around I am looking at lmm or lml

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
I did find a 2006 LBZ with SAS but it's a little out of my price range. I want something fairly cheap that's why I was looking toward LB7s.

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
More than anything I just think I have a soft spot for LB7's. I did like my LLY, but the LB7 still always beats it on mileage. I'm finding that a stockish lb7 with good filtration seems to make the injectors last longer. At least that's been my experience.

Bonestock

Aug 9, 2010
Worland Wy
I have had 4 LB7's and loved everyone of em. Changing injectors isnt the end of the world. Just takes a bit of time. My theory is to run power services in every tank of fuel, run an airdog lift pump 2 micron filter and change it often. So far so good knock on wood. The big problem today is the fuel we have with lack of lubrication. I would think any lubrication a guy adds to their fuel would be beneficial. Don't go thinking LBZ trucks are immune to injector failure. There are plenty of them on here and they have been out half as long. You still have to tear a bunch of shit out of the way ti change stix on an lbz/lmm. Its not as bad but still time consuming. Plus as stated earlier lb7 better bottom and better mileage for sure.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I have a real soft spot for lb7's, I love mine to death. My injectors were done 10 years and 101k ago and are doing fantastic (knock on wood). The 01-02 front end tops all IMO. I would never even think about buying an lly or any NBS truck.

Anyone who complains about the lb7 injectors has never done a set or has never owned an lb7. They really aren't that bad just time consuming

z71havinfun

Mar 6, 2013
just plan ahead and start cleaning up the engine compartment little by little like I did. Relocate the ficm and clean up the wiring. I got rid of that crumply plastic wire runner and wire loomed and cleaned it up nice. I can just unplug a couple connections and it all swings out of the way. Plan on putting a van style thermo housing and upper hose on to make it one less thing to have to work around. So WHEN I have to change mine it will make it that much quicker.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I've owned 2 LB7's, I put 90k on my 03 and the stock injectors were good when I traded it in. I would definitely buy another one for a work truck but I'd make sure I bought it cheap enough so if the injectors died 3 months later Id still be ok as far as total money spent.