LB7 LML Allison 1000 conversion & swap

Lost0187

Mar 3, 2023
North Ga
Good morning I don't get on here a whole lot with work and not having enough time in the day but I figured I post about my LML Allison swap I did about a year ago and I do believe I'm the first to accomplish in a late model LB7 truck. The transmission was harvested from a 2011 LML crew cab truck I had a opportunity to buy some parts from. The original transmission was old had seen its fair share of usage with age and wear and tear the 4th gear clutches started slipping. I told my little brother hey instead of rebuilding this original 2002 unit lets upgrade to a better oem Allison. Some things had changed with the 2011 revamp to the Allison and one main component was the transfer case design. Now I do believe you can just swap your rear tail housing onto the transmission and use your original transfer case but this being something different I wanted to use it all. So all the drive shafts from the original transmission were used and fit live a glove but the transfer case electronics had changed. this can be mended with some wiring and a clear head which is where I always come in. Now for the 6 speed to work this also need a clear head some calibration skills and some trial and error to get it perfect. Long story short the truck has been just fantastic and the LB7 mixed with the gen 3 Allison is near perfect. The fuel milage has increased from around 19 average to 26 mpg the cabin noise is down on the hwy annd cursing at 80 mph with 32.5" tires its around 1900 RMPs. I absolutely love making new stuff work with older vehicles it helps keep them on the road longer and updated for the road ahead. I used all the original electronics for both transmission control as well as the newer transfer case. There are many ways to get the same results while keeping a lot of your original parts if you so desire. Like I said I just wanted to do something different than others have done in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I think the most incredible part of this is that it MPG improved by 36% with 200-300 drop in cruising RPM.

Reactions: juddski88

Lost0187

Mar 3, 2023
North Ga
I'm using my original TCM from the 01-05 platform. I do all my own custom tuning and use efi live annd hp tuners depending on the application im working on. As far as the mpg that can also come down to the updated calibration inside the ECU with the added help of the updated transmission. So the 11-19 Allison 1000 they made some of the internal parts lighter weight vs the 06-10 LBZ & LML truck to increase efficiency. This was likely due to the EPA coming down on all the major car brands to keep there vehicles as efficient as possible. I still believe the 06-10 Allison 1000 is probably the strongest from gen 1-3 with gen 3 being the most efficient. This truck has seen a lot of daily use as well as a lot of pulls to and from Florida to North Ga every time never having a issue. The truck pulls both a 30' as well as a 40' goose neck loaded with either hay heavy, equipment, or other vehicles. Depending on the trip we also pull a 4 horse slat as well as a tag along 2 horse. The shift schedule is top notch and the truck also uses a Florida torque converter stage 2 which we are pretty happy with. We would of used the stock LML torque converter. But we had a HD Florida Torque Converter in the old 5 speed set up and it was actually a really good unit temps stayed cool for a 01-05 truck and it never had a issue. So whenever you do something like this or a overhaul on the 5 speed I recommend a GO REAREND C3 PTO oiler kit and the jig to drill the small holes in the case PTO housing this helps channel more fluid to the C3 drum and maintain better average temps to the assembly. With Allison 1000 I think we all know heat and to much HP/TQ is there #1 killer.

Also a good update if you are overhauling or swapping to a newer unit is to get rid of the small OEM cooler and upgrade to a 06-19 unit or get a PPE unit to help keep temps lower than what the original cooler can. Also some people opt for the blocker for the 11-19 Allison to keep line high and prevent clutch slip. It really all comes down to preference and tuning. The 06-10 you can install Mike L upgraded springs and sonnnax and transgo make good shift kits as well as upgraded valve body internals.

Reactions: 1FastBrick

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
How did you get a calibration that adds a 6th gear, G solenoid and whatever other changes made that will load onto an 02 TCM?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
So are you saying you were able to use the 11-19 valvebody with your custom OS and achieve a working 6spd setup? If so, what was done on the valvebody if anything?

Lennydmaxguy

Just another diesel tech
Nov 8, 2023
Somewhere, USA :)
Not trying to hijack this thread, but I did basically the same thing to my 01 LB7. In my case I used a LBZ valve body. I already had a 6 speed calibration from my LLY, so that was simple. I'll try to make a list below of changes the need to be done for this to work.

1. Custom TCM tune to command 6th gear (note that this calibration will NOT work in a truck that's not set up, I've tried it)
2. 6 Speed valve body: LBZ, LML, possibly 17-19 L5P?
3. LLY internal harness, 2 of the connectors need replaced with LBZ connectors if that's the valve body you're using, can't speak to LML valve body
4. On LB7 trucks, you need to add one wire from the TCM to the transmission, for the G solenoid. LLY trucks already have this.

That's all you should need. I'm very happy with the conversion in both trucks I have. Personally, I wouldn't do without it, but that's just me.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Lost, you are not a supporting vendor here. You may not offer paid services to members unless you are one. I would doubt you are going to go flashing tcm’s with said custom OS for free.

Lost0187

Mar 3, 2023
North Ga
Lenny has it right as far as the work for the most part but from what I have seen a lot of guys just want to be able to plug it and go. especially if wiring isn't your thing. As Lenny said it will depend on the valve body you use. The wire you will add is for the older lb7 trucks 01-03 some 04 trucks already came equipped with the G solenoid (LLY valve body) It was added to reduce lie pressure at idle and on shifts. The G or main mod solenoid only comes on in a stock calibration between 2500 and 2800 or at certain set trans temps. A lot of the LML & L5P valve bodies I do I actually have the customer block the G (main mod) solenoid so it keeps line at full pressure on shifts vs the 06-10 valve bodies where there isn't a blocker available that I have found. Also there are huge differences with the valve bodies 11 and up they are basically built from the factory with shift kits and don't have the issues of the LBZ & LMM valve bodies.

With any transmission to quick of shifts or to soft of shifts is a recipe for failure you need the clutch packs to engage properly ad not slip to much or it will just bur them out way before there life span. A lot of these trucks are quite old now with very high milage & have had swapped Allison's in the past so it best to look at your build dates on the case annd you harnesses to see exactly what you are working with to start.

Lost0187

Mar 3, 2023
North Ga
Guys I don't want to the staff here to get mad at me all I wanted to say is I'm the first to do this swap in a LB7 it all fits and will work. I will upload some photos of the steps I took for you guys interested in doing a lot of the work yourself.

Lost0187

Mar 3, 2023
North Ga
Sweet appreciate it im all about respect you have to give it to earn it I understand 100%. Might be the Italian in me but I grew up working hard and always trying new things that other say cant be done. You being the original member here know all about it im sure. Sick of the horse life this is what I'm meant to do work on cars I know its not the most glorious job but its where I feel my best. I wont bug you have a good morning and enjoy your day.

Lost0187

Mar 3, 2023
North Ga
Here are some photo's of the swap the rear of the 11-19 Allison is slightly different than the gen 1 & 2 units. This is to accommodate the newer transfer case design. While we were mounting the swap we opted for the GO REAR END C3 oiler mod which I think helps as well as the main mod solenoid blocker. She is a old truck but with the transmission has been great. Swapping to a gen 2 or 3 Allison is really only a good idea if you have a worn gen 1 unit and you just want a updated stronger version of the gen 1. Before this truck the old black 02 we owned had a built stage 4 suncoast set up it was a 5 speed but with the DSP 5 it was a beast this truck is more just a optimized stock truck. Normal stuff like a lift pump with sump, some creature comfort upgrades, updated calibrations, but other than that nothing crazy just simple average Duramax.

Attachments

• image6.jpeg
    image6.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 23
  • image7.jpeg
    image7.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 20
  • image8.jpeg
    image8.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 22
  • image9.jpeg
    image9.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 25
  • image10.jpeg
    image10.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 24
  • image11.jpeg
    image11.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 23
  • image12.jpeg
    image12.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 20
  • image13.jpeg
    image13.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 22
  • image14.jpeg
    image14.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 22
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    85.8 KB · Views: 24
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    94.6 KB · Views: 20
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 22

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Did you just do a valve body swap or whole transmission? Your first post sounds like you used the 2011 transmission. Photos look like a valve body swap

Reactions: Bdsankey

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Sure looks like a 5-speed case with LML tail/tcase. I still dont see how the newer electronics can talk with the 01-02 architecture.

pl_silverado

Jan 29, 2012
He hasn’t really gained anything other than complexity when it comes to the electronic line pressure control over using an 06-10 6 speed trans where it’s all mechanical. But as he’s talking about a solenoid blocker/epc fooler, he’s not utilizing the electronic pressure controls anyway and running it full pressure like the earlier ones do anyway.

Internals are pretty much the same with a different valve body. Kind of a pointless swap for most people imo. Unless you have a clapped out 5 speed and an lml trans just laying around.

Lost0187

Mar 3, 2023
North Ga
It is a complete 2011 unit you can see the different webbing behind the PTO covers I think I added a photo. The older units gen 1 at least were smooth and the 11 and up have webbing probably to increase the strength of the case kinda like they do with motors.

Lost0187

Mar 3, 2023
North Ga
Also I’m using the factory TCM 01-05 with my own custom tuning and yes I have 1-6 this is my little brothers truck I have done quite a few some opt for just valve body swaps others to fully replace the transmission especially if it’s worn. Either way the goal is the same to get that extra gear and the .67 ratio and drop the rpm’s while cruising as well as get a lot better fuel milage depending on how you tune the engine side. This truck gets about 27 mpg and has pulled some heavy loads for a 2500. You can opt for a 2006-2010 valve body or a 2011-2019 it doesn’t matter I can make it work. I just like making older things new and helping out to achieve things that the common programmer / mechanic would say can’t be done it can always be done with time and patience.

The easiest way if you swap to a newer transmission is get a 2006-2007 LBZ unit nothing has to be changed basically just bolt it up do some wiring internally get a custom tune and enjoy.

2nd option VB swap / wiring Tune and enjoy.

Lost0187

Mar 3, 2023
North Ga
Option 3 the hard way get a LML set up and try to get your new 4x4 system to function. If you are 2x4 it’s even easier. You will need to do some home work I’m working on it now with the 4x4 system as my little brother has time. Using a 2008-2013 can based TCCM I have communication with the scan tool but I only had a 5 position unit on hand and the Duramax uses a 3 position TCCM so until I have time to program it I have a code for the actuator that isn’t present.

Reactions: juddski88