LB7 fuel issues

lowlifenation24

Sep 16, 2024
Ky
Need advice. 2003 crew cab 218k all stock, besides AirDog. Runs fine in the level. On a steep hill or under a load it's like it starves for fuel. Cuts down to around 2k rpm until the top of the hill. Sometimes even dies. Pull over cranks a few times, fires right up. No codes..No smoke. Changed filters and did the FPRV race plug. Didnt help. I know someone else musta had this problem???
Truck now does these problems any time it's under a heavy load the fuel pressure drops to 3k ish sometimes less. Any help is appreciated

Last edited:

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
You'll want to check the fuel pressure desired and actual to see if the are off. May need to do a return rate check on each cylinder head and the CP3 for excessive fuel return

mojito5000

Aug 20, 2019
Oregon
P0087 was thrown on my truck just prior to the CP3 going out. The Checking Desired vs Actual will be the tale-tell sign. Mine had the error and worked great for a week or so, then out of the blue it wouldn't start when I was heading home after loading a trailer full of building materials. Couldn't get it to start for the life of me. CP3 couldn't make enough pressure at starting rpm to catch. Replaced the CP3 and the truck ran like new.