LB7 Fuel Filter Issue?

turbo_bu

Mar 27, 2007
Central IL
Been chasing a 1093 low fuel pressure code on my 2004 LB7 w/ 118,000 miles, no lift pump, recently swapped out original injectors for SAC00 and rebuilt fuel filter base with new AC Delco fuel filter. Original symptom was a high pitch whining coming from right side of engine when engine speed was ~3000 RPM or higher. Never had this issue before the injector swap. Later, a 1093 code set which pointed toward fuel system and not a boost leak. Did the usual test of commanding 160 MPa at idle to see if the CP3 was going out. Luckily, the CP3 was able to hit 160 MPa without any issues. I then went ahead and swapped out the fuel filter as that is the usual next step. There is just a slight hint of the high pitch whine at ~3000+ RPM and the CP3 actual fuel pressure was able to match the desired. One thing I did note between the original fuel filter and the new one that I replaced it with was the o-ring seal. The one I took off had a round o-ring cross section while the new one had a more triangular shaped cross section. FWIW - the triangular shaped design fits better into the filter than the round design.

Question: are there any quality issues with the AC fuel filters? I know over the years that they have improved them quite a bit and added more filtration capability due to all the original injector issues. Do these filters now have more restriction in them that makes a factory non-lift pump truck more sensitive to low fuel pressure at higher RPMs? Would just adding in a lift pump be the recommended fix, or is there something else going on to check into?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
There are several areas on the filter housing that are known issues. The primer seals, bleed screw, heater connection seal and lastly the housing can crack. All or any one of these can cause air to get into the fuel system and reduce the pumping capacity of the CP3 causing a low pressure code.

A max pressure test at idle doesn't stress the CP3 enough to really test it as the fuel demand is low. You'll often only see it during harder acceleration or when fuel demand is higher. Then the CP3 can't keep up and that triggers the code. Some try the rebuild kits first as they are cheap while other go right for a whole new housing

There is also the possibility the regulator is going out or getting sticky and limiting fuel. If you decide to change this out, only use a genuine bosch as others have known quality issues and short life spans

Despite the above, I still recommend a lift pump

turbo_bu

Mar 27, 2007
Central IL
Thanks for the suggestions. I am leaning toward just throwing on a lift pump, but I couldn't keep from trying to understand what is going on. To that end, I cut open the fuel filter that just came off this engine. I also happened to have the fuel filter that was on the engine before I swapped injectors. Apparently, I am out of touch with all the changes that have happened in fuel filters. The attached picture shows the differences between the old fuel filter (TP3012) and the latest fuel filter (TP3018). Some internet reading says these changes were made back in like 2014??? Somehow, I have had a stash of the older fuel filters that has lasted me this long. Anyway, you can definitely see the difference in construction between these two filters.

PXL_20240913_174149480.jpg

A couple of questions -
Are the TP3018's more restrictive than the older design?
Is the Racor filter (PFF50216) like the older TP3012?
Should I start using the Racor over the TP3018?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
Thanks for the suggestions. I am leaning toward just throwing on a lift pump, but I couldn't keep from trying to understand what is going on. To that end, I cut open the fuel filter that just came off this engine. I also happened to have the fuel filter that was on the engine before I swapped injectors. Apparently, I am out of touch with all the changes that have happened in fuel filters. The attached picture shows the differences between the old fuel filter (TP3012) and the latest fuel filter (TP3018). Some internet reading says these changes were made back in like 2014??? Somehow, I have had a stash of the older fuel filters that has lasted me this long. Anyway, you can definitely see the difference in construction between these two filters.

View attachment 125978

A couple of questions -
Are the TP3018's more restrictive than the older design?
Is the Racor filter (PFF50216) like the older TP3012?
Should I start using the Racor over the TP3018?
The Racor filter, in my opinion, is far superior to the updated/new TP3018 or TP3012 as GM changed filter manufacturers around the time the LML came out.

The Racor PFF50216 is the "old style" filter as they used to make the OEM filter before GM changed suppliers. It has a better water coalescing layer etc.

Reactions: 2004LB7

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
The Racor filter, in my opinion, is far superior to the updated/new TP3018 or TP3012 as GM changed filter manufacturers around the time the LML came out.

The Racor PFF50216 is the "old style" filter as they used to make the OEM filter before GM changed suppliers. It has a better water coalescing layer etc.
That's all I use on my trucks

Reactions: Bdsankey