LMM: K&N and it is now in limp mode

Kelby_Abels

Sep 3, 2013
Ravenswod, WV
Needing some help with this question. I installed a K&N filter on my 07 lmm and it ran ok for about 100 miles or so. The fuel mileage came back up some after changing filter, but then it would go into limp occasionally. It threw codes on the turbo vane position sensor and the MAP sensor low circuit voltage or whatever. P2564 & P0107. Limped it back home and checked for loose wires on both pieces and found nothing. Put the old filter back in and it's back to normal, and codes went away. The truck has almost 330k miles now. Is the oil from the filter and the oil from the breathers that go into the intake overwhelming the sensors and tripping them or is this a warning of something worse to come? Any info or ideas would be great.

Kappa9012

MAN.... I Broke it again.
Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
I think people have reported issues with the oiled K&N Filters causing maf issues, but I can't see how that would affect your vain position sensor.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
MAF has been known to throw a code if it gets oily but the sensors you mention especially the turbo vane have little to nothing to do with how oily or dirty the air is.
Put a couple 100 miles or so on it with the air filter and if you get no issues put the K&N back in and try it again. Be sure to check/clear your codes when the K&N goes back in.
I do know that replacing a REALLY dirty air filter has caused the shift points to change before though.......

Kelby_Abels

Sep 3, 2013
Ravenswod, WV
Thanks for the info! I read a good bit about MAF issues but I didn't know if it was possible for tjd filter to mess with those two sensors also or if it was just a fluke that I changed the filter and then had those codes show up. Do most people run the dry filter because of MAF issues?

Last edited:

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Yes. Plus the stock Lmm filters flow and filter great. Dont get that big of gains from aftermarket intake.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Was it a INTAKE kit or just a drop in filter? It would seem that it didn't get oily to throw the maf code because you said once you put the paper element back in problem solved. Another reason for maf codes is with a kit you can change the position of the sensor father down stream or closer and this can cause a issue.

Kelby_Abels

Sep 3, 2013
Ravenswod, WV
This was just a drop in filter. Still has all the factory intake and all the crap to go along with it. The one that was in it was filthy. I beat on it and blew it out with air compressor and just barley get light through it. It just doesn't add up.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
In both my LLY and my LBZ for a period of time I ran stock air boxes with a stock filter, and then stock air boxes with K&N air filters. Never had an issue with MAF. Even after I went to a complete S&B setup on my LBZ.
I'd like to say you have something else going on but to confirm it's not the filter I would try what I suggested first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Crawler

Aug 26, 2013
DFW, TX
I've seen a few throw both of those codes with just a K&N. My fathers 2010 being one of them.

Could clear codes, clean the maf and run a little while. Then see them pop again after a couple hundred miles.

Clean codes, clean maf, replace with fresh factory filter, and go thousands of miles with no issue. Put the K&N back in, a few hundred to a thousand miles and limp.

Kelby_Abels

Sep 3, 2013
Ravenswod, WV
Well I never got a code for the MAF sensor but I did clean it anyway. It just confused me because some people get the MAF code after after installing. But I'm gonna go back to factory filter and run it a while and i'll report back on my findings when I try it again. Thanks for all the help and input. Greatly appreciated!!!

Kelby_Abels

Sep 3, 2013
Ravenswod, WV
Update to my question. I made it about 2 days and got the codes again for vane position sensor and the MAP sensor again. Will one of those trip the other and cause both to show up? Map sensor is about 132 from dealer vs 300 online for the vane sensor. Anyone know which one I should try first?

Kappa9012

MAN.... I Broke it again.
Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
I don't see how the vain sensor could be caused by anything other than the vanes sticking, so I know it's more expensive but I'd probably start with that.