Just purchased 2007.5 LMM 2500 CCSB

JPStrniste

Feb 3, 2016
Hey guys,

Just bought my first duramax. I used to be a powerstroke 6.0 guy from a while ago. Just gave my gf my 2005 denali and bought a 2007.5 chevy 2500 w/ 9' fisher minute mount and 5th wheel plates in the bed. Ive made the switch from ford to GM and loving it! I determined its an LMM based on the vin. Truck has 120k and looks to be well maintained. Truck is very clean and im excited about the purchase. Im in the Boston, MA area.

Looking for suggestions on what to check out and what to be careful of. Got a 100k warranty from the dealer....which i was cautious on purchasing, but figured it'd be a good idea just in case.

I used to run a bully dog triple downloader and edge insight on my powerstroke and loved it. What is suggested for the duramax that wont be detected by warranty if i need to utilize it? I have an 8x20 car trailer that i use for motorcycle hauling and other things, but towing is not my primary function.

Is there anything i should watch out for as far as the motor is concerned? Im a mechanic by hobby and not afraid to get my hands dirty. I did a full EGR delete (via modified intake) and oil cooler change on my 6.0; however, im still learning about duramax. Not worried about getting caught for emissions "issues" on inspection based on my profession.

Id love to run a programmer that will shift on the fly when needed and will responsibly tow when needed. Planning on a fifth wheel camper at some point. This will be my primary vehicle for at least the next 5-6 years. Im looking for reliability and a good kick in the pants when wanted. At most, i want to do intake (if suggested), programmer, and exhaust.

What do you guys think? Comments and suggestions appreciated. Im the type of guy that researches everything to the max before i do it, but know when to go with experience from others when im not knowledgable...

Thank you, gentlemen. Look forward to hearing input.

Jan 28, 2015
Ohio
Extended warranty from a dealer is the biggest waste of 3000$ possible. Call mark from Danville and talk to him about Efi live. Won't help with your warranty though. Trans go shift kit with mike l springs will help your trans.

JPStrniste

Feb 3, 2016
Loving the truck!! Couldnt have picked it up at a better time! Just had 9" of silly white stuff dumped on us here in the northeast! Truck was great other than not having any weight in the truck, it plowed well. Going to get a fresh oil change tomorrow. Very pleased. Cant believe the power the truck has without programmer. Any suggestions on exhaust? Straight piped vs mild muffler? Prob ordering some parts next week, just bc cash burns a hole in the pocket....

I know im prob wasting $3000 on the warranty, but i need to cover my a** just in case. Truck was $27k....

JPStrniste

Feb 3, 2016
Cant touch a decent diesel in the northeast for less than $25k it seems. I consider myself lucky to get one with a plow for $27k.

Is it worth a cold air intake? Ive heard stock is just as good as aftermarket... Looking to see what others have done. Planning on contacting mike l next week to see what my options are on trans. I know efi live seems to be the way to go, but i dont want it to be detected if i need to utilize warranty. How is bully dog doing for folks, as far as programmers go?

DefiantArms

Limp Mode Cowboy
Jan 28, 2016
St. Augustine, FL
most Warranties are voided when the Dealer scans the computer and sees that theres been a tune or any kind of performance increase you can petition them to cover it with mixed results. The 3k you spent on the warranty would have covered EFI Live, Exhaust, Shift kit, and a couple other accessories and upgrades.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
No need for a Intake with your power goals IMO , exhaust, EFI and trans go jr..
Congrats on the new truck :thumb:

This^^^^ Lmm's run awesome with next to no mods:thumb: Ask your dealer how mod friendly they are? You never know, they might be cool with minimal stuff.

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
I have an LMM with 145k and I never have had any issues. I agree with everyone on the "ask first do later" with your dealer. EFI from Idaho Rob is solid. I have his mild max and tow tune and I live next to a canyon and his tow tune is really great up all these hill grades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JPStrniste

Feb 3, 2016
Thanks for the input guys. Ill check with the dealer on what would be allowed.

Any exhaust suggestions?

Whats the story behind the "bat mo wheel"?

What are other good preventative maintenance issues?

Sorry, its been a couple years since ive kept up with diesels....

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
you can return it to stock with EFI Live same as bully dog..

Shows up in the ECM.

You can get away with an intake and the one best suited is a Volant, it has a CARB EO number and the Feds adopted CARB standards starting 2016, but, seeing how it is a LMM that still has one of the best stock filter housings GM made for the Duramax trucks..

Last edited: