Jobs!

03 D-max

Honorary "Tosser"
Apr 29, 2008
Lowville NY
Ok some of you may know that i was going to school to be a mechanical engineer, and there was a company that had a well paying job waiting for me when i got out. Well with the economic times that has fallen through, and i don't think that is really what i want to do anyway.
So, well i went to a Psychologist for a psycho analysis because when i was in high school i had a reading problem and i wanted to know if i still had a problem (a psycho analysis, which if you don't know is a test to show how smart you are and what your smart at, kind of like an IQ Test) I had a meeting with the doctor today and get the results. The only person that was more surprised than me was the doctor. In Mathematics and Spatial relations I am off the charts. I am in the top ten percent in the nation which the doctor said is amazing.

So i didn't post this to brag at all. The reason i posted it was to get your guys opinion on what i should do for a career. I would absolutely love to work in the diesel performance industry, so are there any jobs that pay a decent amount of money and i that i could put my brain to good use?

Any job suggestions are welcome! :hug:

P.S. if anyone wants to offer me a job and help put me through school.... that would be sweet:D:D

Duramax_JP

Jul 3, 2008
Im still in high school and wanted to be mech engineer too. But ive been rethinkin that lately. Thats pretty cool you scored so high on that test. Im curious to hear what kind of careers people suggest for you.

Poltergeist

Ghost in the Machine
Aug 1, 2006
Ontario, Calif.
www.poltergeist.us
Sounds like just about any Engineering job you would be able to do. Electronics, mechanical, etc. Might think about software programming if you don't mind sitting at a monitor for 8~12 hours a day. Those are the first ones I could think of.

messejme

Jazzy, Me and Max
Mar 7, 2008
Branchburg NJ
Take a job in an industrial or commercial setting and start building useful job experience.Jobs are difficult to find so take what is available and work your ass off(that can be the difference between getting laid off or kept on).;)

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Sounds like just about any Engineering job you would be able to do. Electronics, mechanical, etc. Might think about software programming if you don't mind sitting at a monitor for 8~12 hours a day. Those are the first ones I could think of.

we know he can sit in front of a moniter that long :rofl::rofl:

seriously my cousin went to school and just started working as a mech engineer and i am way jealous i wish i would have done the same its a cool job .

Last edited:

05' Ditry Duramax

May 3, 2008
Port Orchard Washington
Look into government engineering jobs. You never really have to worry about the government laying you off. They pay well too. The economy never effects the work load for the most part. There's lots of perk's when working for the gov too. It's the smartest thing i've ever done.

Sep 10, 2008
Morehead City, North Carolina
I'm 20 yrs old and going to North Carolina State University for mech engineering.....I've been seriously re-thinking the entire thing as well. Besides the fact that it's hard as shit in the first place you will always have a job IMO with that degree. I want to build/design custom yachts. No idea if that will ever happen; probably not. My friend went here who is now 28, graduated with a mech degree, and is currently a civil engineer who designs public drainage pipelines :confused: . I vote to stick with it because your options are endless in that field. Not many people are as fortunate to have your intelligence and I'm damn sure they would give anything to be in your shoes ;)

x2 on the government jobs..... I agree. I've even considered joining the military when I get out. Already a 2nd lieutenant and could do some kewl stuff.....not to mention the guaranteed benefits with this economy.

Last edited:

05' Ditry Duramax

May 3, 2008
Port Orchard Washington
x2 on the government jobs..... I agree. I've even considered joining the military when I get out. Already a 2nd lieutenant and could do some kewl stuff.....not to mention the guaranteed benefits with this economy.

I wouldn't join the service with that type of degree. I would apply for ALL cavilian jobs. I've been on both sides of the coin and I can tell you that the cavilian coin is much better:D

03 D-max

Honorary "Tosser"
Apr 29, 2008
Lowville NY

NOT PROGRAMMING!! I dont mind writing the top down designs and the algorithms, but the actual typing code is just so damn boring.

as for the engineering, i want to make sure i am going to have a good paying job after my degree and looking at a mech engineers average salary it isnt that much money :( thats why i was thinking maybe there is something i can do that will pay more money.

and there is always the dream of doing something with diesel performance and actually getting payed for it, but that is that just a dream. I'm not sure if there are any jobs in that industry anyway.

diamondshocks

crash skippy racing
Feb 15, 2009
Fargo, NS
www.diamondshocks.com
im at NDSU and going for mechanical engineering. its a hard degree guys and i think pretty hard about changing and minoring in engineering. i have the smarts to do it but not the study skills or the time. your professors dont understand that some of us need to work to pay for the rest of your lives. i dont have 8 hours a day to sit around and study. im either going to switch to construction management with a minor in manufaturing engineering for business management with the same minor.

just remember that you dont have to know exactly what you want to do the day you go into college. go to school for a semester and see what everything is like. also note that most people go to school for 5 years, not 4 so does get super stressed about finishing in 4

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
NOT PROGRAMMING!! I dont mind writing the top down designs and the algorithms, but the actual typing code is just so damn boring.

as for the engineering, i want to make sure i am going to have a good paying job after my degree and looking at a mech engineers average salary it isnt that much money :( thats why i was thinking maybe there is something i can do that will pay more money.
and there is always the dream of doing something with diesel performance and actually getting payed for it, but that is that just a dream. I'm not sure if there are any jobs in that industry anyway.

do your self a favor and pick a job you like it will make you much happier in life than any amount of money . what it pays is pertinent but should be a secoundary consideration IMOP .

03 D-max

Honorary "Tosser"
Apr 29, 2008
Lowville NY
im at NDSU and going for mechanical engineering. its a hard degree guys and i think pretty hard about changing and minoring in engineering. i have the smarts to do it but not the study skills or the time. your professors dont understand that some of us need to work to pay for the rest of your lives. i dont have 8 hours a day to sit around and study. im either going to switch to construction management with a minor in manufaturing engineering for business management with the same minor.

just remember that you dont have to know exactly what you want to do the day you go into college. go to school for a semester and see what everything is like. also note that most people go to school for 5 years, not 4 so does get super stressed about finishing in 4

i have been going to college for a year and a half;)

03 D-max

Honorary "Tosser"
Apr 29, 2008
Lowville NY
do your self a favor and pick a job you like it will make you much happier in life than any amount of money . what it pays is pertinent but should be a secoundary consideration IMOP .

the reasson i posted about money was because i dont know if a mech engineer would be my dream job at all. there are alot of mech engineers around here that sit at a desk all day everyday and that would make me go crazy! i would consider sitting at a desk if there was enough money to do what i wanted with my hobbies, but it doesnt look like there would be unless i had a very consontrated degree which gives me the chance of not getting a job.

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
I'm thinking about switching to construction engineering....I don't have the time to dedicate myself hours on end daily like previously mentioned.

You have got to put the time in today to be able to reap the benifits down the road.

I just finished my 2 yr. degree in Diesel Technology and will be starting on my BA in mechanical engineering in the fall.

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
tough one... do something that makes you happy. After 10-15 years it's the only thing that keeps you pluggin along. The money is simply to pay bills and go on vacation/have fun, meaningless really if your not happy. I didn't know what it was (made me happy) for me until i got to that place in life.

Whatever you choose, after you get out of school, keep in mind you spend more time at work than you will at home. :D

Ahhhh... to be 20 something again!

Last edited:

tbalz

ZF6 Shifting
May 8, 2008
Upstate NY
I am a degreed Mechanical Engineer. I have been out of school for 10years. I am currently an Advanced Manufacturing Engineer for a very large company. I work with future Engineering designs to make sure they can be machined & assembled. Sometimes designing & building special rigs to allow for assembly. I also bring in equipment to our factory. From your basic Bridgeports to 400ton $8million Lathes and Machining Centers.
One thing to watch for is that with larger companies Design Engineers sit at their desk all day and never get to touch the parts they design. If you want to be a hands-on Engineer, stick to Manufacturing, Manufacturing Methods, NC Programming, Test Engineer.