JD's Motor Swap and 101 question thread.

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
Thought I would start a thread about swapping the motor in my truck. I already have the motor out and I have the other motor I bought from a member here sitting as a long block that I'm getting ready to put back in.

I'm trying to put the CP3 pump in right now and and something isn't right as the gears don't line up. Can you put the CP3 gear on backwards? The modified pump came with the motor.

Attachments

• cp3.jpg
    cp3.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 79
  • cp3 2.jpg
    cp3 2.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 80

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
The CP3 pump shaft is tapered. So I doubt if you tried to install it backwards to would even be able to start the nut.

Are you sure your not just feeling the resistance of the o-ring sliding into the hole?

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
The motor was very straight forward coming out. I didn't have to raise the cab. I actually enjoyed doing it.

Attachments

• motor build.jpg
    motor build.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 113

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
The CP3 pump shaft is tapered. So I doubt if you tried to install it backwards to would even be able to start the nut.

Are you sure your not just feeling the resistance of the o-ring sliding into the hole?

Shouldn't the gears be tapered the same way on the motor and the pump?

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Try pulling the o-ring off and see if it will slide in that way. It should go right in without it.
Then will know its just the o-ring.

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
What ever question you have, I will probably have the same question.:D

how long did it take you to remove the motor?

I did most of it my self except for pulling it and it took around 6 hours all together. An hour of that time was cleaning up all the coolant that missed the pail. It's actually alot easier pulling the motor then doing the header uppipes and turbo for the first time. Got the CP3 pump in. Very easy after I new everything was ok.

Last edited:

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
It looks like I have to take the ATI dampner off to put the water pump on. Any special things I have to do? Or look out for when taking it off and putting it back on? I have a 36 mm 12 point and I will use Mcrat's idea for holding the fly wheel. Looks like it's torqued to 268 lbs.

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
I have a friend coming over that has the ATI puller to take my Dampner off and I'll put the water pump on and he'll put it back on. I didn't want to mess with it when I know very little about it. I also put a couple tacks on the water pump with the mig. The tacks were a little big but they shouldn't bother anything from what I can tell.

Attachments

• tt.jpg
    tt.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 60

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
Looks good :thumb: It really only took you 6 hours to pull it? That means it would only take me about 12 hours :rofl:

Very straight forward to take out. I took lots of pictures and put everything in ziplock bags with where they came from written on the bag. I also have a lift which made it easier.

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
The Socal flexplate is a work of art. I finally got my bigger injectors, 625's and new rocker studs. Thanks Guy. Does anyone know the torque of the smaller studs at the top of the head? Not sure if it's 150 lbs like the rest of them. Probably be another month before I see my twins.:(

Attachments

• Flexplate..jpg
    Flexplate..jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 40

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
The Socal flexplate is a work of art. I finally got my bigger injectors, 625's and new rocker studs. Thanks Guy. Does anyone know the torque of the smaller studs at the top of the head? Not sure if it's 150 lbs like the rest of them. Probably be another month before I see my twins.:(

The smaller ones don't take as much as the bigger studs. Don't know the torque spec though. Flywheel looks sweet:cool2:

JD4440

<< Lo-Carb Monster
Feb 27, 2009
Orlinda, TN
I have a friend coming over that has the ATI puller to take my Dampner off and I'll put the water pump on and he'll put it back on. I didn't want to mess with it when I know very little about it. I also put a couple tacks on the water pump with the mig. The tacks were a little big but they shouldn't bother anything from what I can tell.

What does the impeller look like ? They're plastic and I haven't seen one.

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
What does the impeller look like ? They're plastic and I haven't seen one.

I only welded the gear end. So no idea what the impeller looks like. I'm putting Mcrat thermostats in so hope that helps. I know I should do something about the impeller end but I didn't read about that untill I had it back on.