LMM: Issues after injector install 08 with 450k miles

weazel

Oct 5, 2011
Mason, TX
My brother in law has an 08 lmm. Has 450k miles on it. Just got tuned about three months ago with egr and dpf deletes done. He decided to let my nephew take over the truck and he's been driving it ever since. Well he's pretty rough on it.

Well I get the call a couple weeks ago asking to come look at it. Was told the usual story, well I was just driving along and it started acting weird!

Dang thing sounded like death warmed over... checked balance rates, all injectors were way out of whack. Had my brother in law run compression tests on it, he said all cylinders were above 300. So brought it to my house and swapped out all injectors with new injectors. Also had a code for bad crank sensor so swapped it out too. Cranked up the truck, sounded better but now has a loud tapping sound and still ran rough. Pulled valve covers and every valve was way out of spec, so set lash to .012. Just got it back together this evening, and fired it up. Sounds better, but still has that tap/knock sound. Then it'll do a weird surge. Like it runs out of fuel then get fuel again. Checked and cleared codes and the last set of codes were showing misfiring for all cylinders except number 2.

Sorry for the long post, but have a lot of time and work involved and still not totally fixed yet. Any ideas of what else I need to look at or check? I've got a couple of videos I'll try to load in the morning so you can see what I'm trying to describe..

weazel

Oct 5, 2011
Mason, TX
No didn't check that. Will look after work today. And man, that's popping up in the back of my head as what it could be now... hoping it's something else though.

Slowmax

Build what others' won't
Aug 3, 2013
United States
Did the crank sensor code ever come back, after replacement? Does indeed sound like broken crank, given all the info provided.

weazel

Oct 5, 2011
Mason, TX
It did after I set all the valves and fired the truck back up. I cleared it, but it hasn't returned like it did before the sensor changeout.

weazel

Oct 5, 2011
Mason, TX
Hoping to have time tonight to look some more at this truck. But first thoughts from the videos, what do you guys think?

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
Sounds exactly like mine did when the crank snapped. Hopefully the motor isn't trashed from running it more.

weazel

Oct 5, 2011
Mason, TX
I sent my brother in law the video and told him the bad news. He's not happy at all. And I don't blame him.

Thanks for checking out the videos and giving me advice guys. Saved me a lot of time trying to troubleshoot other problems and costing him more on unneeded parts.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Hopefully with all the idling, it didn't spin a bearing or spin one too bad for a new crank to drop in after some machine work

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
Hopefully!

What does a stock rebuild usually run for a duramax? Just stock no machine work

You pull the motor and bring it to me. Lol. Can get it done in a weekend if block is okay. Not sure what a crank runs but I'm sure you can find one on here for sale. I think it cost around 4-5k parts and labor around here depending on where you go.