Is there a trick to swapping reluctor wheels?

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
All I have seen about switching LLY, to LBZ or vise versa, is to "swap reluctor wheels". Is there any trick to doing it with out taking the upper oil pan off? The wheel will not clear the oil pan.

Last edited:

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I have only replaced the bolts on the reluctor wheel itself with the upper pan on, don't think you can swap them with the pan still on.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Pull the bolts that hold the reluctor wheel to the gear. You might be able to snake it off the crank like that.

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
Pull the bolts that hold the reluctor wheel to the gear. You might be able to snake it off the crank like that.

Bingo. Went out and looked at it again right after I posted that.

Just for other people to know:

1 Take the oil pump gear off

2 slide the reluctor and gear forward until it touches the oil pan

3 Find a 5mm regular Allen wrench you don't care much for

4 cut the short side down until it is approx 1/2" long from the bend so it will clear the gear behind the reluctor wheel

5 I took out all but 1 allen bolt on the back of the reluctor, just loosened the last one

6 I then used that one bolt to swing the wheel away from the oil pan and snugged it back down. Just seemed easier as it would stay clear of the pan that way.

7 slide the wheel and gear off

So glad I didn't have to take the oil pan off for that.

Last edited:

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
739296.gif

Important: Do not remove the reluctor from the oil pump drive gear unless replacing the reluctor or the oil pump drive gear. The reluctor is timed to the gear and once removed the correct timing will be lost.
6. Remove the crankshaft reluctor to oil pump drive gear bolts.
7. Inspect the crankshaft reluctor for the damage, bent teeth, being bent or warped.
8. Inspect the oil pump drive gear for damaged or worn teeth.
9. Inspect the oil pump drive gear crankshaft pin for wear.
10. Inspect the groove of the crankshaft pin in the oil pump drive gear for wear.
11. Replace any parts that are damaged or worn.
Installation Procedure

739295.gif

Important: The crankshaft reluctor and the oil pump drive gear are timed at the factory. In order to re-establish proper timing, install knock pins in the oil pump drive gear if the crankshaft reluctor was removed from the oil pump drive gear. The knock pins are available through the parts department.
1. Install the knock pins in the oil pump drive gear to a height of 4.5–5.5 mm (0.177–0.217 in)

739296.gif

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.
2. Install the crankshaft reluctor on the oil pump drive gear. Ensure the reluctor is aligned on the knock pins.
3. Install the crankshaft reluctor bolts.
Tighten
Tighten the bolts to 8 N·m (71 lb in).

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
My logic behind it is, LLY's come loose and people fix them in the truck and run fine when they are done. I will see if I have a roll pin that will fit and line it up to make sure

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
My logic behind it is, LLY's come loose and people fix them in the truck and run fine when they are done. I will see if I have a roll pin that will fit and line it up to make sure

They come loose or only 1 comes out not 2 out and the last one loose and moving it to get it out. When the motor is not in the truck to start with already. Being a built motor I would want to be safe but it's not my money.

lukeb98

Apr 18, 2017
Where do I find a new reluctor wheel? I've been searching for days. I bought an LLY with a broken reluctor wheel and am looking to replace it