Inverter remote outlet install

snowman7200

Oct 20, 2011
virginia
So I've been a member here for a while, but mostly just steal everyone else's ideas. :) But for the first time, I couldn't find where someone had done what I wanted to do.

So I figured I would just do it, and put it up.

I am going to be installing an inverter in my truck, along with a remote outlet on the dash.

I found a Peak brand 1200w inverter on ebay for cheap, and bonus, it comes with a remote mounted box with 2 110v outlets, a usb outlet, and an on/off switch!
652983085_o.jpg

My truck doesn't have the center console, so below the cigarette lighter/12v outlets there is a pretty big, and thus far to me, useless cubby.

Perfect place to mount this box I think.

First step: basically tear out the entire dash:
CAM00416.jpg

And here is where that cubby used to be. It just screws onto the dash from the rear, hence the need to tear the entire dash out to get to it.
CAM00419.jpg

All I did was use some thin aluminum sheets, two, because I felt that they were too flimsy alone,and cut them to fit on the rear of the dash. I cut them as big as I could, because I planned to just screw or rivet them into the dash from the front.
CAM00415.jpg

After I had it all fitted up, I put the box in, and drilled holes in the plate to attach the box to.
CAM00413.jpg

Then some black spray paint.
CAM00420.jpg

Then mounted box in the plate, used rivets to attach it, and then, instead of drilling obvious holes in my dash, I just fit this plate into the hole on the dash, and screwed the cubby box over the back of it(after drilling out a hole for the cords to go through). It fit tight and actually looks pretty good!
CAM00441.jpg

Anyways, there is the first part of my first contribution to the forums. If I ever get the cables for the inverter I'll document that installation as well, since no one has installed one where I plan to put mine.

minisub

6-5/6-6;Whatever It Takes
Sep 11, 2006
Cleveland, OH
That looks good. I had seen someone somewhere french a regular outlet into the side of the console, so no plate was needed.

I do like this unit for the on/off and USB.

snowman7200

Oct 20, 2011
virginia
Well, looking at this again, it appears that all but the last 2 of my pics decided to stop working... and I can't edit to fix them... Oh well. the last one is the only one that matters anyway. :p

heymccall

Aug 24, 2009
I've got inverter and outlet pics over at dieselplace.

My inverters are shoehorned in behind the flip rear seats, and, I've installed GCFI outlets in the B-pillars, and small square outlets in the rear of the center jump seats.

Over there, Diesail has some nice inverter write-ups, with pics, too.

some of mine

snowman7200

Oct 20, 2011
virginia
Nothing like dredging up an old post!

Here's photos that went missing, as well as the rest of the install.
Inverter:
652983085_o.jpg

B Piller outlets. I messed up. Did drivers side first, but did it low, and didn't consider the bend in the trim, so the cover fits goofy. And instead of making both sides goofy, I made the whole truck goofy by doing the pass side higher. The outlets fit into the holes in the body very well.
CAM00556.jpg

CAM00558.jpg

Inverter set in place:
CAM00566.jpg

CAM00568.jpg

Studs and isolators inserted from underneath.
CAM00571-1.jpg

snowman7200

Oct 20, 2011
virginia
Batteries moved. Built a tray under the front of the bed. My exhaust exits in front of the rear tire, so this is easy to access. It's doable with stock exhaust, but tight. The tray is long enough for 3 batteries.
CAM02209.jpg
]
Fuse/distribution block mounted to front of battery tray.
CAM02213.jpg

Hole in floor goes right to inverter. Didn't even need to extend the supplied power cables.
CAM02215.jpg

Enjoy.
Truck's gone now ( :( ) but I have an 81 crew cab/cummins project that I'll be doing a similar install on in the near future.