Intermittent no start no crank no click

Colinimough

Oct 21, 2016
Hi guys well im in need of some help. 07.5 chevy 2500 hd duramax ext cab. I will try and be as straight forward as possible here.

Ok so july 15 i broke my leg and my truck sat for 3 weeks. A week before i broke my i replaced the starter because it was shot.

After i broke my leg my truck had an intermittwet start issue. It would run fr a few days and then no start for a few days. As time went on i noticed it would vary from every few hours.

I replaced the ignition switch and ran new ground wires to my passenger side battery. Ground to frame and ground to right side of engine block.

The intermittent start is still happening. My buddy came.over and we used cables and i cleaned the frame up a bit. I groudned the frame to the starter bolt and it fired. I also noticed no power to ky trigger wire on starter. (Small black one)?

But it fired up after using cables to ground the frame to starter housing/bolt.

It only seems to no start no crank when its cold out and moist. (Located in ontario). Sometimes at 7 am it wont start but by 11 am or noon when it warms up it fires up.

Also noticed last week my truck was almost chugging like cutting out in my driveway . Happened once and that was it.

This has got to be a bad ground ? What are my starting circuit grounds? I only did passenger side grounds so far. I need help i cant afford to bring it to dealer and its intermittent so its hard to get it there under no start conditions and i go on contract for snow removal soon. I need help.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Check Ecu connections, clean if dirty and reseat, temporarily externally ground your tcm case and see if that fixes the issue...

Colinimough

Oct 21, 2016
Ive heard this on other threads, and possibly jumping my truck numerous times and jumping starter it could have melted the fins in tcm?

Colinimough

Oct 21, 2016
Ok thanks, im not to educated with all of the wiring and starting components and computers etc. Tcm is mounted to fan shroud right behind the rad?

Colinimough

Oct 21, 2016
Hey and if i unplug the ecu to clean plugs that wont set anything off?

Colinimough

Oct 21, 2016
Thanks guys, so tbis is the common fix for intermittent no starts?

BLACKMAX1

WAY2EVL
Jul 10, 2013
VA beach
Make sure BOTH of your batteries are good and the terminal to the wire and battery connections are tight. Also are you running any accessories directly off of you batteries?

Colinimough

Oct 21, 2016
No aftermarket accessories at all. Its a plow truck but the plow has been on for 3 years and this just started a couple of months ago .

Colinimough

Oct 21, 2016
And yes blackmax 1 i have replaces all my terminal connections. Terminals are clean and everything is tight.

Colinimough

Oct 21, 2016
Try swapping the relay with one of the headlight relays?
I did that when it was no start and it wasnt the issue. Hard to diagnose a intermittent no start im about to pull my hair out. Its been another 4-5 days of it starting healthy. Im at witts end and then sometimes it only no starts for a few hours then starts fine so by time i even bring to shop itll start. I had at local gm dealer and they called saying come get it because it started for the head tech every morning.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Couple things.

when you go to hit the key, do you get a noticable "click" when it is in "no start" condition? and im not taking a relay click, i mean a decently loud click coming from the starter.

have you tried taking this starter back for another?

Colinimough

Oct 21, 2016
No i havent because its a pain in the ass and ive got a broken leg. No cloud click from starter.

Colinimough

Oct 21, 2016
And i dont think its starter because sometimes my lights dim very little and as i mentioned somewhere above it was chugging one day breifly- 10 15 seconds while i was in driveway slightly revving above 1500 in park