LB7: Intercooler flush ideas?

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
My turbo went out about two years ago now. It completely obliterated the comp. wheel. I replaced the turbo with another stock unit. I flushed the intercooler with dawn dish soap and water to get all the oil and bits of metal out. So I got it all back together and since then it's been running as though it's rich, smokes black when it shouldn't and a lot more than before the turbo went out, like it's not getting enough air. Now it has blown a hole in my drivers side 90 degree rubber intercooler pipe. My guess is there must be metal inside the intercooler its self. So does anyone have any ideas on how I can clean out the intercooler better before I end up having to replace it. :(

boominator

Jan 31, 2012
MI
Ive seen people use bead cheetahs or bead blasters in one end and blow it out the other but not when there was matel in there

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
Like glass bead? I wouldn't chance that in my engine. I have heard some say kerosene if cleaned out well enough and some say not to do that with a runaway motor. But I'm really stumped on this. I could boil it like a radiator but I don't think it would get much metal out.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Best way is to cut the end tanks off & use solvent, compressed air. Besides, you will probably find the corners have been leaking because they were never fully welded from Behr.

If it was me, I would take this opportunity to up-grade the cooler:thumb:

Last edited:

cburchel

Aug 21, 2012
southern Indiana
Kind of a different deal but I bought my truck with 181000 miles and one of the first things I did was the pcv reroute. Would the inter cooler have a lot of the black soot/what not in it like the boost tube going from the turbo to the IC?

boominator

Jan 31, 2012
MI
Like glass bead? I wouldn't chance that in my engine. I have heard some say kerosene if cleaned out well enough and some say not to do that with a runaway motor. But I'm really stumped on this. I could boil it like a radiator but I don't think it would get much metal out.

No for seating beads on tires a quick blast of a lot of air

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
Hmm I know what you mean now :p I will have to find a bead cheetah or something I tried my boost leak tool I made to shoot air in it but it wasn't even close to enough air pressure. If I can't get it flowing properly I will upgrade. O btw anyone know if afe makes their Blade runner intercooler pipes for Both sides on an 02?

messejme

Jazzy, Me and Max
Mar 7, 2008
Branchburg NJ
remove it from the vehicle. spray a lot of Brake cleaner in it and keep turning it in different positions. Then let it sit for a day or two to evap all of the chemicals out. or buy an aftermarket one.

moss

<--good vibrations
Dec 15, 2008
sandwich, il
i put some gunk spray and simple green in my spearco. then filled up with hot water and sloshed it around. then hooked up to a fire hydrant backwards. cleaned all the crude i could see.