I Hate Hail!!

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
As you can see by my avatar, we got nailed a week ago today. The whole drivers side (and top and hood of course) of my wifes trailblazer are trashed also. Worse yet is my crops. Between dad and I we are replanting over 1,000 acres of crops, now all to beans. 600 of them WERE corn, almost knee high now mowed to ground level. The only resemblence of corn is behind the irrigation pivot tires where they were protected from the wind (somewhat). At record high prices for inputs (almost all put in) and harvest (not gonna happen) it makes a person pretty sick. I probably wont get any winter projects this year...........:mad:

Attachments

• IMG_1006 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1006 (Medium).JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1008 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1008 (Medium).JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1003 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1003 (Medium).JPG
    106 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1007 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1007 (Medium).JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 33

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
There are not words :(

I'm not familiar with farming but is there insurance for natural disasters that destroy crops??

Gasuout

Johnny
Mar 20, 2008
Santa Ana , Ca.
That sucks , sorry to hear of the troubles .

Hope it gets better . Sounds like your already kicking butt to overcome it .

Good Luck ,

Johnny

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Dag gone!! That is nearly unimaginable. So sorry to see that happen to you. How big of an area got hit like that?

Good luck in regrouping and having a success crop and harvest nonetheless.

C-ya

stacks04

Nov 16, 2007
Terryville,Ct
dam man. i feel for ya. God has funny ways sometimes and i still dont understand them. best wishes for your crop and hopefully they'll grow.

Mar 27, 2008
Sheridan, IN.
Man that unfortunate, hope you can get done what you need to and get as good a harvest as could be hoped for. Worked for a farmer for 15 yrs and some times you just got to wonder what keeps them going and keeps them farming, but then I stop and realize if I had the assets thats what I would be doing for a living. Good luck and wish you the best outcome possible.

djms

Dec 25, 2006
Houston tx area
Sorry to hear about that and what makes it worse is that corn prices are way up. But beans are at over 15.00 a bushel right now too, which is a plus. My cousin booked his beans for 15.00+. Did you already put out some nitrogen on the corn that got hailed out? Hope the beans do exceptionally well for you.

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
Thanks a lot guys. We had about 60% of our fertilizer on. We usually put the rest on through the irrigation system before it tassels (blooms).
Insurance adjusters were out today, 90% destroyed they say. I'm insured up to 70% of my proven yields over the last 5 years. I had hail insurance (thank goodness) and then multi-peril (think blanket) insurance. It should figure out that I get about $600/acre vs 175 bpa x $6/bu = $1050/acre normally--minus harvest and irrigation fuel and fertilizer. So, its still a drop. I hope it will be OK. If the beans make something that will really help. We cannot insure them now, being they are a second crop.....
That particular storm went almost all the way across the state, from S dakota south down to almost Kansas. It was about 5 miles wide where the hail destroyed everything. NASTY!

Luckily we farm around a 30 mile radius so it was about 45% of my total farm acres and about 30% of my dads. Bad part is that I also switched to bushel rent on another farm this year so I have less corn (20,000 bu) than years before to begin with. :eek:

nar

Now with less _
Feb 7, 2008
Wyoming
That sucks man. I hate that crap. We go it earlier this year bad too. We only have 50 acres of beets left, and a whole lot more corn. Short day stuff since it was getting late, hope it yields decent. 86-90 day. Sounds like your insurance was decent. Ours sucks. Since it happened before july they call it stage one and they pay 60% of your 70% of APH. Our APHs have gone down a lot here in the drought. So on the beets insurance basically covers the seed cost. Get the insurance check and pay the seed off.

TwoTone

Mmm tits
Apr 30, 2008
That sucks man. I hate that crap. We go it earlier this year bad too. We only have 50 acres of beets left, and a whole lot more corn. Short day stuff since it was getting late, hope it yields decent. 86-90 day. Sounds like your insurance was decent. Ours sucks. Since it happened before july they call it stage one and they pay 60% of your 70% of APH. Our APHs have gone down a lot here in the drought. So on the beets insurance basically covers the seed cost. Get the insurance check and pay the seed off.

not to mention it hails atleast once a week as of late
so far this year we have had 5 tornado warnings and 29 severe thunderstorm warnings in the county since may:(

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
You're never gonna make money on an insurance company, all you can do is hope to break even. If our beans make something, we'll be ok. If they dont, its a big loss. Just like Nar's corn in his beet fields. If it makes something (at least 100-150 bu?) it'll be ok, if not its a big loss.
You cant controll mother nature! It sounds bad all over, with all the flooding and sutch...