How much power do I have?

indiana_jones

LargeFarva
Dec 3, 2013
Ft Collins Colorado
Total new guy question. First let me start by saying that rarely does one find a forum with people like you guys. You guys rock! Super helpful, super knowledgable. AND you are gun people. Hell yes, I fit in. Now here comes the newby question. I bought my truck from a friend of a friend who is hard to reach. I was curious about how much power and torque im making with the upgrades on my truck. Im so used to muscle cars that im still learning the diesel stuff.

I have an 07 Classic Sierra 2500HD (LBZ as you all know). It has:

Banks 4" monster turboback exhaust (no cats)
Banks 6 Gun tuner with PDF thingy
Banks ram air intake
Some kind of aftermarket fuel pump with 45 gallon tank. (Not that the tank affects power...im bot THAT new)

I know setting one is stock, 2 is econ, and after that I was told it is +75whp per setting? Is there any truth to that? I dont want to make "claims" when people ask about power. I want facts. But I dont want to put the truck through a dyno just yet as im babying it for now. Does economy mode take away HP and TQ? I imagine it slows the turbo spool in some way to conserve fuel.

If this topic is beaten to death im sorry and if I missed a FAQ about it ill be glad to check out some newb links.

Oh and it has HID's. In the 4cyl ricer world HIDs ass 400 horse power instantly. Like a V-tec sticker. :)

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
I never worried about how much power I had or what the wizard on the other end of the controls would tell me.Ive seen semi built trucks make 330 at the rear tires and stockish trucks make 650 horse.Dynos are for tuning and I guess braging rights if you want,when I am asked I say not enough just yet or I pick out a conservative number as I have never been to a dyno with the truck,id rather go to the track and see what I can put down.That being said I plan to hit the dyno and get the truck tuned in the spring.

Econo generally adds fuel,You can go to the banks web site and see what they clain for power that would give you a round about number.Id dump the banks and get efi live and id find out if it has a trans go jr shift kit installed in the trans,if not id get it done.Take some time fill out your sig and use the search button there is an answer to most questions you might have.

Welcome to DD :thumb:

indiana_jones

LargeFarva
Dec 3, 2013
Ft Collins Colorado
I never worried about how much power I had or what the wizard on the other end of the controls would tell me.Ive seen semi built trucks make 330 at the rear tires and stockish trucks make 650 horse.Dynos are for tuning and I guess braging rights if you want,when I am asked I say not enough just yet or I pick out a conservative number as I have never been to a dyno with the truck,id rather go to the track and see what I can put down.That being said I plan to hit the dyno and get the truck tuned in the spring.

Econo generally adds fuel,You can go to the banks web site and see what they clain for power that would give you a round about number.Id dump the banks and get efi live and id find out if it has a trans go jr shift kit installed in the trans,if not id get it done.Take some time fill out your sig and use the search button there is an answer to most questions you might have.

Welcome to DD :thumb:

I don't plan to do any pulling, racing, or crazy stuff. And I actually planned to leave the truck as is for as long as I have it. (Hopefully forever). My use is daily driving and carting around a snow blower and guns from time to time. Do you think I'll be ok on the stock trans? I drive the truck conservatively on setting 3.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
I don't plan to do any pulling, racing, or crazy stuff. And I actually planned to leave the truck as is for as long as I have it. (Hopefully forever). My use is daily driving and carting around a snow blower and guns from time to time. Do you think I'll be ok on the stock trans? I drive the truck conservatively on setting 3.
yes I would think you would be just fine on 3 but I would still get efi live it will fine tune your truck,canned tuners such as the Banks are somewhat general tuning efi live is the best and you can sell the banks to help fund the efi live.

indiana_jones

LargeFarva
Dec 3, 2013
Ft Collins Colorado
yes I would think you would be just fine on 3 but I would still get efi live it will fine tune your truck,canned tuners such as the Banks are somewhat general tuning efi live is the best and you can sell the banks to help fund the efi live.

Excellent thanks! Ive been reading about the trans and such. Ill look into EFI some more too. Does it have a display like my Banks? The Banks gauge is really handy, I have all my gauges in it. Digital speedo, boost, EGT, trans slip etc.

Here is the full retard question. How can I tell id there is a shift kit already in there? Id love to meet up with someone from here and have them check out my truck for shits and giggles. Thanks again for the help!

-chris

fast03

Jun 15, 2008
Rancho Cucamonga
I had the six gun way back when....in 2004. My truck(LB7) put down 410hp at the wheels and 8xx lb tq. would turn mid to high 14's in the quarter IIRC. Banks Tunning is not bad, but you can get more with EFI. Position 6 will limp the trans on the 4-5 shift.

Aug 3, 2013
Arizona
I had the six gun way back when....in 2004. My truck(LB7) put down 410hp at the wheels and 8xx lb tq. would turn mid to high 14's in the quarter IIRC. Banks Tunning is not bad, but you can get more with EFI. Position 6 will limp the trans on the 4-5 shift.

I didn't think the 6 gun put out that much HP/TQ.

TLyons90

Apr 22, 2013
Greenville, SC
If you are wanting to run your truck conversely and don't have many plans of doing anything much more performance wise I would get off of this site right now :roflmao: we will talk and talk and talk you into building it more and more and faster and faster as well as yourself eventually giving in an wanting all of the above... ITS AN ADDICTION!!!

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
Today its a banks 6 gun tomorrow its a built engine haha welcome

starts with a banks 6 gun

then you'll get efi live

then you'll toast your first trans

you'll build the trans and get hotter tunes

then you'll start adding turbos and injectors

then the bottom end takes a shit

the same time you build the motor you have to refresh the trans

by this time you could have bought a house but its too late, you sell the truck for a stock one and start all over.

its a terrible cycle

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
oh i remember when a edge with attitude was all i thought id need......

now here i am built motor, built trans, twins, injectors, dual cp3s, ect ect ect ect.

i blame everyone here for this issue :D :rofl:

WTF

slow and broke
Nov 20, 2006
Wasco,CA
If you are wanting to run your truck conversely and don't have many plans of doing anything much more performance wise I would get off of this site right now :roflmao: we will talk and talk and talk you into building it more and more and faster and faster as well as yourself eventually giving in an wanting all of the above... ITS AN ADDICTION!!!

And that's the reason I try to stay off this site:eek:

indiana_jones

LargeFarva
Dec 3, 2013
Ft Collins Colorado
Wow you guys are awful. The worse kinds of enablers! This sounds like when I got into Cowboy Action Shooting.

"I'd like to have a SAA in 45 Colt". That started it...

2 SAA's, an 1892 Winchester, and a Sharps Rifle later here I sit........(i do still need a coach gun and an 1897 trench gun...)

This is gonna be a long ride. But the spending cant start until after my move to CO next year.

boss760

Mar 8, 2010
Clarkrange, TN
There are not many people that tune with efi that are much better then banks or ppe, but the ones that know what there doing can build a much better tune

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Total new guy question. First let me start by saying that rarely does one find a forum with people like you guys. You guys rock! Super helpful, super knowledgable. AND you are gun people. Hell yes, I fit in. Now here comes the newby question. I bought my truck from a friend of a friend who is hard to reach. I was curious about how much power and torque im making with the upgrades on my truck. Im so used to muscle cars that im still learning the diesel stuff.

I have an 07 Classic Sierra 2500HD (LBZ as you all know). It has:

Banks 4" monster turboback exhaust (no cats)
Banks 6 Gun tuner with PDF thingy
Banks ram air intake
Some kind of aftermarket fuel pump with 45 gallon tank. (Not that the tank affects power...im bot THAT new)

I know setting one is stock, 2 is econ, and after that I was told it is +75whp per setting? Is there any truth to that? I dont want to make "claims" when people ask about power. I want facts. But I dont want to put the truck through a dyno just yet as im babying it for now. Does economy mode take away HP and TQ? I imagine it slows the turbo spool in some way to conserve fuel.

If this topic is beaten to death im sorry and if I missed a FAQ about it ill be glad to check out some newb links.

Oh and it has HID's. In the 4cyl ricer world HIDs ass 400 horse power instantly. Like a V-tec sticker. :)

Here a banks product works like a sticker in the ricer world, so you got a monster on your hands

:happy2:

:coolspot:

Banks products aren't bad, IMHO. I like allot of the hardware they offer, but their tuning sucks for anyone looking beyond factory parts performance potential, and they aren't cheap either, bang for the buck quotient is pretty low.

For the most part it's about the safest tuning out there, banks uses allot of safeguards, or just more stringent safegards. Iirc, the upper power levels of the six gun tuner can't be unlocked with out certain banks upgrades to first the hard parts of the truck, like the tq converter and intercooler and then the software needs to be unlocked by banks somehow. So I'd bet the most power that the 6 gun is giving you right now is something like 110whp over stock, which is probably the #4 tune, but, that's just a guess, you could be getting all of it, you could only be getting 90hp #3 tune too:confused:

That is Iirc....

As far as the power levels go, and for the absolute answer, call banks or go to the site and research banks claims on their product, I would imagine, and if I remember correctly, cuz I was interested in Banks product (before I came here, lol) the most wheel horse power that the 6 gun will produce is 160hp/350+ft lbs, but like I said, I don't think "big" power tunes are out of the box available and require specific upgrades and effort to unlock. Where as with an efi live program, you can just go and get built trans tuning and load the 250+ file and rip your truck apart. So you see the immediate safety banks products provide, but they aren't compatible with anything else, well, the banks IQ is, but the tuning is not.

Eco mode doesn't hold back any power from the tune, so to speak, it's just an optimized timing and fueling algorithm that was written to produce efficiency with an enhanced throttle response from stock, that's about it, really the only difference between the big tune and small tune or even stock tune, is the amount of fuel entering the cylinder and how it gets there, and the amount of air the turbo is allowed to move (vgt function, or waste gated) So for a truck with stock injectors the tune just keeps the injector open longer and allows more air from the turbo to enter the cylinder as well, which of course makes more power.

The other downside to using Banks is that they do not provide support for street driven vehicles beyond what they have in their product line up. So if you decided to do a turbo upgrade with bigger injectors, modified cp3 or dual fuelers, banks would laugh at you for tuning support, where as with an efi live vendor they will smile and say thank you for the business.

Jakemax04

Jun 28, 2013
starts with a banks 6 gun

then you'll get efi live

then you'll toast your first trans

you'll build the trans and get hotter tunes

then you'll start adding turbos and injectors

then the bottom end takes a shit

the same time you build the motor you have to refresh the trans

by this time you could have bought a house but its too late, you sell the truck for a stock one and start all over.

its a terrible cycle
Haha my trans is built.... On to turbos and injectors!!!