LML How Loud Is Your Transfer Case In 4HI?

Armus

Oct 27, 2012
Hello brothers.

With the onset of winter I've had the occasion to use four wheel drive the past few weeks. Although one cannot expect a transfer case meant to handle serious torque to be whisper quiet, mine seems to whine a fair amount, especially on coast down. My exhaust is still factory stock (i.e. quiet) which makes any case noises that much easier to hear, but still I find myself wondering if my noise is normal for an HD part, or if something is wrong.

At highway cruise, light throttle, the volume of the transfer case whine on coast down is about 75% as loud as the engine itself. How loud is yours? Is your exhaust stock like mine?

Armus

Oct 27, 2012
Stock tires and rims. The truck is still pretty new but the rears are down probably 15-20% more than the front.

Fastorange

Jan 31, 2009
ohio
im not sure on the newer trucks but i know on the obs that your should drive a max speed in 4wd hi is 50mph

bigboytoy426

Jun 30, 2012
grand rapids michigan
My 97 silverado sounded like a manual car in reverse but louder. It had a bad bearing I belive. My dad had the same truck so I compared and found on mine you couldn't even move the front drive shaft by hand hardly while his moved somewhat freely. I also heard low fluid=loud t-case( the t-case was chain driven, not sure if all are ). just my expierence with transfer cases. My 01 sounds silent from what I've heard since I owned it.

AKlowriderZ71

May 14, 2012
Wyoming
That actually sounds about right then. With that much less tread on the rear tires, your rolling circumference is quite a big difference between the front & rear tires. I'd bet it's over 1/2 inch. At highway speeds, it puts your drivetrain in a bind in 4 wheel drive, so you get some extra noise.

Edit: You really need to rotate your tires. It may even help with the noise. Sometimes, having the slightly smaller tires on the front quiets down the 4x4 on the highway.

Last edited: