LLY: How accurate is the boost through OBDII?

kman2468

Old Man Truck
May 3, 2009
i am looking at getting the edge CTS insight as gauges, and i heard on LLY's that it only goes up to 22 PSI reading which i dont know why? does anybody know why? and is that at the MAP sensor or where are they coming off of? since i cant tap a boost gauge for it, im just curious as how accurate it would be reading it off the computer compared to actual boost gauge.

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
Thinking back to my old juice/attitude the max was 26.5 IIRC thats all the sensor will read to. I would run a boost gauge to make sure thats what your really getting seeing that you have tune from somebody.
Ask duratothemax what happened to him doing the same thing years ago.

kman2468

Old Man Truck
May 3, 2009
ya i know what happened with ben lol. well rob is doing my tuning now i havent changed it, but it does seem on my econ tune, that my turbo makes a louder high pitch noise than the rest of my tunes? and it could be 26.5 i wasnt sure what it was lol

Last edited:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
you could always swap the boost senor out with a oil pressure sensor and then resc ale the boost sensor scale with EFI thats what i did so i could log boost

kman2468

Old Man Truck
May 3, 2009
where is the boost sensor at and how hard is that to change and do? sorry i dont know where alot of the sensors are lol

Last edited:

kman2468

Old Man Truck
May 3, 2009
ok where is the sensor at now though? i take it i couldnt put the oil one back in there?

Last edited:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
ok where is the sensor at now though? i take it i couldnt put the oil one back in there?
\

not exactly sure on a lly where its located its on the intake runner or the y bridge on a lb7 ( depends on the year )

no i doubt you could put the oil sensor in place of it as the oil sensor is threaded and atleast on a lb7 the boost sensor a push in sensor that seals with a o-ring

Triple L

Lots of learning
Dec 4, 2009
Kitchener, ON
My LLY with a PPE tuner reads 7 lbs at an idle and goes up to 37 at WOT...

Actual boost is 0 at an idle and i've hit 34 lbs of REAL boost after the intercooler on a real boost guage...

So IMO the OBDII is totally out to lunch

kman2468

Old Man Truck
May 3, 2009
hmmm...i want the CTS because of all stuff i can monitor, but i also dont want my boost to be way off.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
My LLY with a PPE tuner reads 7 lbs at an idle and goes up to 37 at WOT...

Actual boost is 0 at an idle and i've hit 34 lbs of REAL boost after the intercooler on a real boost guage...

So IMO the OBDII is totally out to lunch

Its probably reading baro + boost

kman2468

Old Man Truck
May 3, 2009
alright thanks! well seeing as people have read above the 22 i think i might get the CTS unit! thanks for the help sweetdiesel!

Last edited:

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD
IMO it is pretty accurate, I also love the Insight for all the things you can monitor at a click of a button. I also like how small it is.

the problem I have with it is it only reads boost up to 39-40psi and that just don't work in my application. I wish that I would have done regular gauges now but just can't pull the trigger on getting rid of the insight

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
IMO it is pretty accurate, I also love the Insight for all the things you can monitor at a click of a button. I also like how small it is.

the problem I have with it is it only reads boost up to 39-40psi and that just don't work in my application. I wish that I would have done regular gauges now but just can't pull the trigger on getting rid of the insight

You can do the
same thing and just get a bigger sensor

kman2468

Old Man Truck
May 3, 2009

well i dont have to worry about the boost lol cause i dont have twins :D
but i also like it now because on the new ones you can switch your DSP5 tune if you are on the 01-05 trucks :happy2:
i think i might get it

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD
You can do the
same thing and just get a bigger sensor

Simon where do you find a bigger sensor? And does anyone know where the sensor is on a LMM. I am pretty sure it is not anywhere on the Y bridge IIRC, since mine kept popping apart and I had keep putting it back together I never seen anything on it I don't think.

Thanks

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
It's on the driver side intake runner close to the front of the motor

auto wrecker and get a oil press sensor an the plug thy goes into