Hood stack

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
The stack is usually a dress up peice bolted to the hood. The downpipe wraps around under hood and up into it. Basicly like how the hot pipe from you small turbo on your dually runs to the big turbo. But instead of going to the turbo it turns up into the hood stack.

timlb703

Aug 20, 2007
I understand that but, How do I seal so that the black soot stays out of the engine bay. Or is there no need for a seal?

timlb703

Aug 20, 2007
Could you seal it with a large semi donut gasket?? I will be bent if the motor turns black..

1lowdiesel

<- wish i was there
Sep 18, 2008
In
anybody have any pics of one on a dmax that still has ac on it. i was seriously thinking about doing it but i see no way w/ the ac line being there. not to mention the air cleaner

IMG_0981.jpg

IMG_0982.jpg

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
I knew what you meant. Flex pipe looks cheesy no matter where it is.

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
Could you seal it with a large semi donut gasket?? I will be bent if the motor turns black..
is this on the dually i seen at merchants 2yrs ago? that thing had the cleanest engine i have ever seen! and wouldnt recomend messing up such a nice truck

minisub

6-5/6-6;Whatever It Takes
Sep 11, 2006
Cleveland, OH

You are just the wrong guy for this mod.....:D

I understand that but, How do I seal so that the black soot stays out of the engine bay. Or is there no need for a seal?

Maybe if you went with a lift-off hood with tie downs at all 4 corners you could make some kind of seal work. Otherwise there needs to be enough clearance between the turbo mounted pipe and the hood mounted pipe to allow for the swing of the hood opening and closing....

A lift off hood is a 2 man proposition every time you want to get under there however...

is this on the dually i seen at merchants 2yrs ago? that thing had the cleanest engine i have ever seen! and wouldnt recomend messing up such a nice truck

Right guy, wrong truck...;)

timlb703

Aug 20, 2007
I thought about a lift hood but I am by myself when I need to access.

Last edited:

timlb703

Aug 20, 2007
anybody have any pics of one on a dmax that still has ac on it. i was seriously thinking about doing it but i see no way w/ the ac line being there. not to mention the air cleaner

IMG_0981.jpg

IMG_0982.jpg

I would think there is not enough room for hood stack with the turbo in that location. I maybe mistaken.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
In general, hood stacks are not for street applications. Your whole truck get coated, it's illegal due to the impaired vision (seldom enforced, kinda like fuzzy dice or blacked out windows), allows water into the engine bay, and attracts attention, sometimes unwanted.

Casper has a hood stack currently, but it's not realistic for a street mod.

1lowdiesel

<- wish i was there
Sep 18, 2008
In
if i could make it fit i would run it till i got pulled over. i have an extra hood:)