higher hp tunes and mpg

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
How are you guys driving to get these numbers? lol I tried driving like a grandpa the last time I went to Vegas...on the way there I got 17.5 on my 100hp tune and on the way back I got 18.4 on my 500hp tune:confused:

WTF

slow and broke
Nov 20, 2006
Wasco,CA
theres nothing wrong with driving like a granpa i know if im doing 70 i get 12.5mpg and at 59 i get 19

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
FWIW, I have gotten better mileage with my high HP McRat tunes than the lower tunes the first time I ever broke 18mpg (2WD, summer tires, #2) was the race tune.

I have even gotten 0.4mpg more in 4WD with my new HTT and the corresponding McRat tune in commuter traffic which runs about 70 mph max with lots of surging up and down.

My wife was not impressed with the increased mileage, she asked if I upgraded the turbo for mileage:eek:. I said no, it was an unintended consequence of adding the turbo....she already knows about the first half tank that was at 7.5mpg (in 4WD) with the new turbo:D. Man is that thing cool.:angel:

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
How are you guys driving to get these numbers? lol I tried driving like a grandpa the last time I went to Vegas...on the way there I got 17.5 on my 100hp tune and on the way back I got 18.4 on my 500hp tune:confused:

Sounds like mine.... same friggin numbers. I think the 285's cause some of that...:confused:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Timing helps a bit but i think the biggest reason guys get good mileage on the races tunes is having to be easy on the pedal either to avoid smoking ( not all race tunes but some ) or flat avoid the big power , could be way off but I have played with alooooot of mileage type tuning and nothing i could tune could beat what my foot could due for improvement :D not that i could remove the lead weights in the toes of my shoes anyway but ................

Last edited:

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Trent is right to an extent, if I get into the pedal to much with the big tunes I either piss people off behing me or I have to run 4 wd to find traction. Oh yeah and theres the hole stock alli issue