High Boost with PPE valve

daltongd

Sep 25, 2010
2002 stock with 225K. New injectors and installed a lift pump 5K miles ago. I put in a PPE valve and with a 40HP tune I was reading a boost of 36 PSI at WOT from a stop. From what I read it's not good to go over 32 PSI. My question is does that sound right, is it possible? is maybe the reader bad?

What should I do take the PPE out, go back to a stock tune or just stay out of WOT?

I have to admit the truck was really accelerating. The tires were starting to skip. I kind of got it rolling and then went WOT , but the extra boost really got it going.

rbsduramax05

Aug 1, 2011
Va
2002 stock with 225K. New injectors and installed a lift pump 5K miles ago. I put in a PPE valve and with a 40HP tune I was reading a boost of 36 PSI at WOT from a stop. From what I read it's not good to go over 32 PSI. My question is does that sound right, is it possible? is maybe the reader bad?

What should I do take the PPE out, go back to a stock tune or just stay out of WOT?

I have to admit the truck was really accelerating. The tires were starting to skip. I kind of got it rolling and then went WOT , but the extra boost really got it going.

You should ask Dan Grant he works for ppe

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
where are you reading the boost from?
x2

If that is read from the engine computer, it might be MAP, which stands for Manifold Absolute Pressure, which means it included about 13-15 PSI for the normal air (depending on elevation).

If that is the case, you were really only seeing a bit over 20 PSI, which would be in the ballpark for a 40 HP tune, IMO.

daltongd

Sep 25, 2010
I guess that makes sense because it reads 14.7 at idle. So when all those articles I read about boost they are talking about Gage pressure and not absolute pressure?

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
I guess that makes sense because it reads 14.7 at idle. So when all those articles I read about boost they are talking about Gage pressure and not absolute pressure?

if you want to know the actual boost pressure you need to get a psi gauge with install kit and tap it post intercooler

Dudgy

Runaway
Jun 1, 2010
Alberta
Don't try running over 40psi actual boost pressure lol, it might end up looking a little like this:roflmao::woott:

fcb4426a.jpg

97251132.jpg

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
^ I see nothing wrong with this turbo
OP the MAP only reads so much also, it maxes out quick (IDK what the number is off the top of my head)